free website stats program Chain tension | Harley Davidson Forums

Chain tension

nascar7613

08 Road King. Stock compensator took out ring gear. Replaced with SE compensator, new clutch hub & basket, inner primary bearing,Twin Power manual chain adjuster and new chain. A couple months later, the stator went out. Took everything apart to replace stator and found a lot of metal stuck to the rotor magnet. Cleaned it up, couldn't see where all the metal came from. Put it back together and when adjusting the chain on the tight spot at 5/8", spin the motor around to check the adjustment and found that the loose spot on the chain is just over an inch, spin it to the tight spot again, still 5/8". When the bike is running it sounds like a box of rocks. It's got to be the chain bouncing around, what would cause a new chain to be so inconsistent?

It would be hard to believe that the front chain sprocket is worn that bad but since you changed out the rear all that metal on the magnets had to come from somewhere. I have seen chain drives wear uneven on final drives but to see one wear that uneven while running in oil just does not seem right. That being said to think that either front drive or rear trans shafts is bent that bad and you don't have seals that are leaking really isn't possible. Since I'm sure you would have noticed is the new chain had a tight spot before you installed it I think you have to look at that front sprocket or the new rear sprocket was bad to start with.

The front sprocket is part of the new compensator, so it's new also. The metal pieces in the rotor magnet were fairly consistent in shape and size, being thin slivers about 1/4" long. The sprocket teeth look to be ok front & rear, but possibly something else wrong with the sprocket. Going to have to take it back apart and try to find where the metal came from.

Breeze may have the answer, alignment. If you have a small inspection mirror you can check the back of the clutch basket/ring gear and the back of the compensator sprocket.

Back