free website stats program Chain Cam Tensioner Failure (BUT WHY?) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Chain Cam Tensioner Failure (BUT WHY?)

Is this cam tensioner problem on all TC engine`s? Or just certain years or just the 88 TC`s?

Is this cam tensioner problem on all TC engine`s? Or just certain years or just the 88 TC`s?

The problem years are from 1999 TC thru 2006 TC 88 cu in (other than 06 dyna)

The 06 dyna and the 07 96" and on bikes, came out with a good oil pump and hydraulic cam tensioner system/6 speed tranny.. The "Old" Shoe-Spring design was a big problem and you can up-date to the newer style for a good priced KIT that HD sells.

So(re-cap) all big bike 96" TC's from 07 and newer are with the better hydraulic system and 6 spd. tranny...

signed....BUBBIE

I have an 02 softail with 49,000 miles on it. The oil was changed every 3000 miles with 20w50 harley oil,my tensioners were ok the shoes were worn about halfway. My mechanic said that they fail because of riding them hard and not changing the oil,at regular intervails. HD says change the oil every 5000 miles but you have to figure in your riding conditions. I live in east Texas where it is hot and humid, which can be brutal on an air cooled engine. My fix to the problem was have a S&S 510 gear drive set up installed,no more chain or tensioners to fail and improved rideability, the cams are bolt in no head work and the power these cams generate is where you need from idle up. Cruising down the hiway at 55 to 70 mph there is no lag in throttle response. I would highly recommend this set up for any twin cam engine,its easy piece of mind not to worry about cam chain failure.

I have an 02 softail with 49,000 miles on it. The oil was changed every 3000 miles with 20w50 harley oil,my tensioners were ok the shoes were worn about halfway. My mechanic said that they fail because of riding them hard and not changing the oil,at regular intervails. HD says change the oil every 5000 miles but you have to figure in your riding conditions. I live in east Texas where it is hot and humid, which can be brutal on an air cooled engine. My fix to the problem was have a S&S 510 gear drive set up installed,no more chain or tensioners to fail and improved rideability, the cams are bolt in no head work and the power these cams generate is where you need from idle up. Cruising down the hiway at 55 to 70 mph there is no lag in throttle response. I would highly recommend this set up for any twin cam engine,its easy piece of mind not to worry about cam chain failure.

GOOD Choice on your part, My 2000 early model year,I went with 570SS gear and Fueling oil pump, delkron cam plate, Head work ,95" bore..

Did you put in the newer style oil pump(high volume).
That was a concern of mine on the older style TC's.

On some of the newer 07+ TC's the Crank run-out is "so far off" that you can't run gear drives.(.)

On 99 thru 02 and then the 03 and up to 06 bikes even some of these cranks that were way out. Quite a few had crank run-outs that exceeded the limit for gear-drives. That is where the KIT comes in today, More Forgiving!, to change out to the Hydraulic type of tensioners.

signed....BUBBIE

Back