free website stats program Cartridge Fork Elimination. | Harley Davidson Forums

Cartridge Fork Elimination.

glider.

BOT Machine
The fairing bikes (NOT Road kings) starting in 02 through 05 had a cartridge in the left fork which makes fork servicing a bit more difficult. Starting in 06, the cartridge was eliminated again.

For those wishing to eliminate the cartridge side and go to the regular oil fill/servicing as the Road kings, here's some info to do that.

You can replace the both fork legs with 2 matching fork legs PN 46502-06 (right $186.84) and 46495-06 (left $186.84) which are complete fork assemblies with fork tubes, sliders and internals with fluid too and just install them on the bike and be done with the cartridge problem forever.
The later year 2007 fork legs have a better valving system than the earlier ones for a better ride and can be swapped as with the early year legs and should also fit your bike but this would require replacing both legs complete. (Best way to go). Cost is around $300 for both with a discount at Zanotti's.
https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

You can get the parts separately to convert just the left lower leg to the non cartridge type if you want but remember you will have a new mechanism on the left and an older one on the right doing it this way unless you rebuild the right slider also.

The sliders (lower legs) for 99 - 06 are all the same.

To replace the inner parts on just the left side slider you will need the following parts...

P/N: 45803-97 STOP, oil lock ($7.14)
P/N: 45838-77 BOLT, front fork ($.18)
P/N: 45845-77 O-RING ($1.75)
P/N: 45859-77A RING, piston damper tube ($1.10)
P/N: 45890-97 TUBE ASSEMBLY ($47.11)
P/N: 45891-97 DAMPER tube assembly ($9.95)
P/N: 45892-02 SPRING, fork ($21.20)
P/N: 45933-86 SPRING, rebound ($2.40)
P/N 45875-84A two new seals, ($8.66 X 2)

Verify these numbers for your bike before ordering them.

Here's how to do a service very easily on the non cartridge forks...

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers - Harley Davidson Community

Excellent point about the worn stuff on the right if just the left side is rebuilt. I think the swap out of both sides is the way to go. BTW, do you know if these can be purchased already "pre-lowered"? The front and rear of my '03 UC are currently lowered, and I would want to do that for any "new" front end I install.

TQ

I would say they are shipped in the stock form. Maybe they could do it for you before shipping. Also check into the SE line of bikes/forks for a pre lowered unit. I think they are lower than stock by an inch.

I would say they are shipped in the stock form. Maybe they could do it for you before shipping. Also check into the SE line of bikes/forks for a pre lowered unit. I think they are lower than stock by an inch.

Sent Zanotti's a note asking them if I could get them that way, or if not, what the lowering kit is for those new fork assys. I think those are fairly straight forward to lower.

This weekend should be the date for conversion of the cam drive. Finally got all the bits-and-pieces together, and will pick up a bolt cutter from Home Depot on my way home. Will take beaucoup photos of the bits-and-pieces and the process along the way!!

TQ

Good deal. LOTS of pics :D

They may be able to hook you up with the SE units that are lowered already.

Went back and forth a couple of times with the folks at Zanotti's, and here is the up-grade info with the lowering kit:

46502-06 ( Quantity 1 Right Fork Kit * Price186.84) $ 186.84
46495-06 ( Quantity 1 Left Fork Kit * Price186.84) $ 186.84
54628-06 ( Quantity 1 Lowering Kit * Price78.46) $ 78.46

S&H on top of that depending on where they are sending it (to me in Texas it's $26.31).

Pretty good deal for those folks that are thinking about up-grading due to leaks, lowering or because the lowers are all sand blasted. Will make fork oil changes an annual event rather than "oh man, I don't want to do ALL THAT today"!

TQ

Good deal TQ. Are they installing the kit or you doing it? Also is that price including the 20% off or not?

Good deal TQ. Are they installing the kit or you doing it? Also is that price including the 20% off or not?

I'm gonna do it down the road a ways.

What 20%? Those figures above are the straight numbers I get when I go here (below) and put the p/n's in and pick each for the cart. Do we get more off somehow? These prices are already VERY good.

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.html

TQ

Check with them via phone. I don't think they would post the 20% off price on the net.:s

Latus has them listed for $260

Thought you may know so I will ask....I bought a "Touring front end" on eBay, when I got it, it was disassembled, as the lowers had been powdercoated Black. The Parts were all wrapped up nicely, the problem is that one side is definately different than the other, I am thinking these forks must be the one with a cartridge...is the cartridge only on one side....if so which, does anyone have or know where to get an exploded diagram of this so I can reassemble these with out trying every way possible? The manual only shows one side and it goes together fine...the other......:wall
It turns out that I cant use the lowers anyhow so if anyone needs black PC lowers for a single disc wide glide..I got it.

Klein

Back