free website stats program car engine oil | Harley Davidson Forums

car engine oil

does anybody try or use synthetic car engine oil on our Harley? whats difference ?
they always have car engine oil on sale wherever u go except for motorcycle, and I was wondering if there is some difference or not?

There are several differences between oils formulated for water cooled engines vs air cooled. The biggest difference is air cooled engine oil has higher percentages of phosphorous and zinc.

The additive packages are way different
Your ride you decide:s

Diesel oil (synthetic or not) is an alternative ok'd by HD (although HD recommends this only in the absence of their OEM oil). They also recommend the proper viscosity and additives be used (see below) as mentioned before. Here is a quote from the HD owner's manual:

"If it is necessary to add oil and HD oil is not available, use an oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable diesel oil designations include: CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 and CI-4. The preferred viscosities for the diesel engine oils in descending order are: 20W50, 15W40 and 10W40."

I'm using Rotella 15W40 at $14 per gallon. I will say no more, lest I incite an oil debate about how the cost of oil shouldn't matter since we have expensive motorcycles...

i usually do 2 oil changes in year here in ohio. one when it start get warm after ugly winter lol. and another when I hit 3500 miles in summer . was changing oil today and was wondering why the (EDIT) the motorcycle oil is expensive vs oil car . I use mobil 1 synthetic, . I lknow there is some additive and the motorcycle is running hot with high rev that make the oil break down quick than a car .

Moderator Note: Please read our rules on language

Last edited by a moderator:
was changing oil today and was wondering why the (EDIT) the motorcycle oil is expensive vs oil car.

Different manufacturing needed (additives) and there are less motorcycles out there than cars (more car customers).

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the engine oil polls and see what others are using and why. You decide what works for you but certainly not car oil.

Back