free website stats program Cant find the source... | Harley Davidson Forums

Cant find the source...

Redman

Good day all...I have a 09 FLHX...and it is an outstanding ride. I do have a strange sound that occurs after the bike has been run say 10 miles or so. It seems to come from the left side (belt side) and at first I thought it was a brake pad rubbing but it doesnt change tone or disappear as I apply either brakes like you would expect. I should add I do not have ABS. I took it to dealer and they adjusted the belt...it was a wee tight...but that had no effect. I have put it on my lift at home and spun the wheels by hand but like I said it only occurs after riding a while. My best guess is that there is contact with something that is expanding due the heat of the friction after 10 miles or so...but I dont have a clue. Anyone else have this or ideas to remedy?
Thanks in advance...Redman:cheers

Just a quick thought if i were in your position id get the bike shed all ready take the bike out for a good run and put it straight on the lift as soon as i got back then start spinning and poking

Brian

Bike is still under warranty so take it back in to the dealer and tell them what they did previously didn't fix the problem. Something like this would drive me crazy and I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the ride.

Does it vary depending on what gear you're in or what speed you're going? What happens if you squeeze the clutch lever (disengage the clutch) and just coast?

They may have adjusted the tension on the belt bit it could need an alignment (belt alignment with the rear wheel ) and the belt is rubbing on the edge of the pulley.
Your's should have the cam adjusters on the swing arm but who's to say they are even?

Back