free website stats program Can a 60 Year Old Newbie Handle a Bagger? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can a 60 Year Old Newbie Handle a Bagger?

I thought it was a rule you had to be old to ride a bagger. Remember if he rode 30 years ago the Ultra will be a dream to ride and it will stop so much better than the old bikes. I'm thinking it will be an easy transition, My wife made me ride a couple of hundred miles solo before she would get on. I really think it was because if was January in Colorado :)

I'm gonna use a phrase I don't really care for " It depends on his skill level " I'd say if he's an experienced rider that's just been in limbo then he'll be fine just take a little time time to get used to the bike. Most accidents happen within the first six months of riding a new motorcycle experienced or non. (read that somewhere). :s

Practice, a lot, before taking a passenger, especially the slow speed manoeuvres and you will be just fine. The EG is a big, heavy bike and I was 60 when I got my first one. Took a while to train myself to handle the weight and yes, I layed it over several times when stopped or stopping until I got the used to not letting it lean over too far. If it does get over too far, let it go, won't hurt the bike at all but if you try to stop it you will pull your arm right out of your shoulder. I found that out the hard way.

I thought it was a rule you had to be old to ride a bagger. Remember if he rode 30 years ago the Ultra will be a dream to ride and it will stop so much better than the old bikes. I'm thinking it will be an easy transition, My wife made me ride a couple of hundred miles solo before she would get on. I really think it was because if was January in Colorado :)

I am always breaking the rules! :D

Got a friend who's about 60. Hasn't been on a bike for over 30 years. He wants to buy an Ultra-Classic and ride two-up with his wife to see our national parks, etc. He's asked for my advice. Is he asking for an early closed-coffin trip to the bone yard or should he go for it? What do you guys think? thanks - Joe

Be a pal and let him ride your bagger.:bigsmiley12:

What ever your friend does, tell him to take it slow and ride within his abilities.

I was 55 and had not rode a bike in 30+ years, and had never drove a big bike.

BUT, with the kids grown, me and the wife wanted to branch out so we bought an Electra Glide.

I took the required riders safety course and started practicing in a deserted part of the parking lot at the local mall.

After a couple weeks I ventured out onto local back roads, another week or so I hit the 4 lanes around our town. Another week and my wife was a passenger and we started venturing up and down A-1-A on the weekends.

We started riding with local groups, on weekends we started riding to The Key's, up to Titusville to the National Seashore, a weekend trip to the Ocala National Forest.

This summer we trailered our bike to The Smokey National Park and did day trips in the park, on the Blue Ridge Parkway and even a trip on the Tail of the Dragon.

In the last 2 years we've had our share of CLOSE CALLS, we live in South Florida, so trying top steer clear of cagers is a full time job, BUT I make sure I drive within my means and make sure I am a defensive driver at all times.

Good luck to your friend.

One good thing about safety courses besides building skills and confidence is after the course and doing an advanced course be sure to let your insurance company know and advise them on ALL riders groups you belong to like HOG, you will qualify for better rates:s Dont know about the state you are in but here in Florida I check once a year now for BETTER rates from my carrier SEEMS they are under NO obligations to inform you of cheaper rates Please ALL keep this in mind It saved me about 1/2 and I am NOW paying less than 1 dollar a day for full coverage:D:D

dbinbc said everything that I was going to say. I applaud his decision to reconnect with his youthful passion but the passage of time may have diminished some of his previous skills. If it were me, I'd go for it but until I am totally confident that I could handle the bike with my wife, the mother of my children, as a passenger, I'd make sure that I was up to the task.

May I make a suggestion?
Since the gentleman hasn't ridden in quite some time, a refresher course in motorcycle riding would be a good idea. A rental of a Road King might be a good place to start, a slightly lighter model from the touring line.

Back