free website stats program Can´t get the extension shaft out | Harley Davidson Forums

Can´t get the extension shaft out

Hi all I`m gonna tell you the whole story.....
I just bought an Electra Glide Classic 1991 1340cc Evolution Engine.
Everything was fine but after one week she stopped to generates electricity (actually I had to call a friend to help me recharging the battery with his car in the middle of the highway) so we took the bike to a another friend who owns an Electra Glide Ultra Classic 1989 and he did perform a few tests and said: "you have a bad stator"... so I bought a new one.
The last saturday with all the tools we started to take all the parts out.... to make the story short, we couldn´t continue because we snapped the Compensator Nut (1) (the head went out and maybe the half of the sleeve remains on the shaft) so we took all the other parts out (2,3,4) but the shaft extension (5).... I think the remains of the nut (1) can´t let the extension shaft (5) go out.

Because of the shaft extension I can´t reach the remained sleeve to burst it out.... do I need to split the shaft extension? How???

I need help please.....

Attachments

• sprock.JPG
    sprock.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Are you or were you turning the compensator nut in the correct direction?

Bodeen

Hi all I`m gonna tell you the whole story.....
I just bought an Electra Glide Classic 1991 1340cc Evolution Engine.
Everything was fine but after one week she stopped to generates electricity (actually I had to call a friend to help me recharging the battery with his car in the middle of the highway) so we took the bike to a another friend who owns an Electra Glide Ultra Classic 1989 and he did perform a few tests and said: "you have a bad stator"... so I bought a new one.
The last saturday with all the tools we started to take all the parts out.... to make the story short, we couldn´t continue because we snapped the Compensator Nut (1) (the head went out and maybe the half of the sleeve remains on the shaft) so we took all the other parts out (2,3,4) but the shaft extension (5).... I think the remains of the nut (1) can´t let the extension shaft (5) go out.

Because of the shaft extension I can´t reach the remained sleeve to burst it out.... do I need to split the shaft extension? How???

I need help please.....

WOW. Still hard to believe this!!

But the way the nut sheared, does it allow you to remove the compensator assembly out of the way? Take a pix and put it here for us to see.

I would think that you could carefully add some heat (torch) to the rest of the compensator nut that is still on the threads of the shaft, and grab it with some large locking pliers or channel locks and back it off. Make sure you do not add too much heat and damage the seal.

TQ

Hi
Although I've dived into my engine & primary a few times, including assembling a new S&S motor this winter, I have a problem seeing your problem:
The nut shaft has a smaller OD part inboard, a larger OD part and then the nut itself. If the nut is broken halfway down the sleeve, then the larger OD part should also be gone, meaning that the extension should slide right off?
If only the nut part is gone, then the larger OD part of the sleeve must be exposed outboard of the extension?
If you get creative with an angle grinder, finisihing off with a Dremel you shold be able to get it off. But, be CAREFUL not to cut too deep, damaging the shaft.
I would not think your output shaft has any damage, but you never know...
Please send us some pictures...

BTW, there is no washer between the cover and nut (nos 1 & 2)

With a somewhat similar situation in the past i have drilled small holes in a line down the length of the part that i wanted off and then joined the dots together with a cold chisel
if you dont drill too deep and damage the threads and hit the cold chisel hard enough should split it and it'll come off and the threads will be ok

Brian

I dont get this one, if all the other parts will slide off the extension shaft should also, I would try a jaw puller to see if it will move

Back