free website stats program cam tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

cam tensioners

have lees than 20,000 miles should my crank wear be ok

You SHOULD be OK with respect to run-out. But do some research here on the pros and cons of both the gear drive system and the roller chain conversion. Run-out is just one consideration. But before you go ordering all the stuff to do gear drive, measure the run-out to be sure. Lots of info including videos on measuring run-out here:

Harley Davidson Engine Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I would really look hard at going to gear drive in your bike. The gear drive cams are great for timing, but if you are not having your crank welded and trued, you may be setting yourself up for some major expense down the road. I just put a new set of chain drive cams in my scoot and it is doing great.

Last edited:
The heck with cam tensioners. Going with S&S gear drive. Any opions.

As everyone agrees, have the run out checked. I replaced my chain with an S&S gear drive three yrs ago and had Andrews 26Gcams and SE pushrods installed. No noise and couldn't be happier. I say if your run out is in spec. go for it. No more worry about something letting lose and taking out the bottom of your engine.:D

MOCO quietly replaced early tensioner system to newer design which is quieter and longer lasting. While gear drive is considered the "racers' edge" the reality is the setup is prone to plenty of foibles of their own if not done correctly as many have pointed out. Remember the philosophy of racing engines also, they are meant to be put together and taken apart many times during their lifetime and only have to last the duration of the race(s) they are in for a short while. Your engine has to be built to last and the hydraulic system IS easier to work on and made to last in the long term...just something to think about.

The heck with cam tensioners. Going with S&S gear drive. Any opions.

Right NOW on NEWER STYLE CAM SET-UP FLHR 09 model, i'm a happy camper!

on my 2000 dyna TC 88 to 95 and BUILT BIG
I went to SS570 gear drive.. ANY change was better then than NOTHING....back then....

I had VERY good luck with gear drive. Very quiet and no whine... using ONLY top parts thru-out the whole BUILD.. bike motor has 60,000 on the engine today and is purring like a HUGE kitten...(for someone else)

earlier cranks (says GLIDER) didn't have the problem that the NEWER TC's have with the crank runout and the SLIP upon power n torque to go out of alignment... causing oil pump breakage and cam gears problems.

I really think the newer system in 07/10 big Bikes is the cats meow.
the newer system is easy enough to replace with STOCK replacement when needed but I have a feeling to get more than 50,000 before it needs attention...

WHAT SAY YOU ON LIFE EXPECTANCE ????
so that is where i stand.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
i went with the gear drive on my 02 flh. along with andrew cams #26 . also bumped to 95" different heads , ign. module { dyna } s&s super e etc.etc. never have dynoed bike , but it has some kick to it i also have true dual headpipes and hooker adj. flo mufflers. all these mods were done @ 27000 miles. the bike now has a little over 70000 miles on it with out any probs. knok on wood . { i should never have said anything}
the bike wasnt meant for racing by any means and while i do run the bike hard , from time to time i try to rely on torque instead of hp. i keep the rpm well below what the limit is . maybe up to low 5 . anyway i like the gear drive . and as far as im concerned at the time it was the only option. the tensioner shoes were badly worn at 27K . i was thinking i would have to replace them way to often. so gear drive it was . no regrets.

50,000 out of them is nothing I know of 1 with 75K on it as of 2 months ago and more than a few with over 50K on the HYD.

Smitty901......

NOW THAT IS GOOD NEWS!!!

I have people asking ME when YOUR THE MAN!

anyone else with NEWS on this NEWER SYSTEM...??

THANKS signed.... BUBBIE

Back