free website stats program Cam tensioner | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam tensioner

Wow I just got my 03 fixed up with a SE cam tensioner and oil pump. What a difference that made, like a new motor now. I thought I had a case full of rocks before. Harley dealer in Sacramento did a good job and did it ahead of schedule. Very happy with the service there.

Wow I just got my 03 fixed up with a SE cam tensioner and oil pump. What a difference that made, like a new motor now. I thought I had a case full of rocks before. Harley dealer in Sacramento did a good job and did it ahead of schedule. Very happy with the service there.

I wished a few people who are looking for OLDER bikes that LOOK NICE and PERFECT would talk with you... as any bikes b-4 07 can have TROUBLE with the cam stuff.. maybe refresh me on what the problem and the fix

thanks

signed ....BUBBIE

Hey Bubbie...AA is flying high up there...hopefully as he said he caught it early while it only still "sounded" like it had rocks in there, there are plenty of happy riders who have 07 and earlier... :small3d018:

Smitty I don't want to be antagonistic,but the post you quoted did say b-4 07 :D

The problem with the stock system is to much tension with the spring tensioner and also silent chains can sometimes develop sharp burrs on the outside of the chain where the tensioner rides. The SE system uses hydraulic tensioners so I think they apply less tension. I had 44000 miles on this motor. It was making enough noise that I believed there my have been more damage then just the cams. The rattling was increasing more in the last couple thousand miles. I noticed a little increase in oil pressure with new pump, about 5 pounds higher at cruise. I put about 2000 miles on last week after the work was done and sometimes I can here a little ticking in, I am assuming, the valve train. My wifes 95 inch ultra has about 25000 miles on it and it is making some noise now. The problem is while under warranty if they are not right on the edge of failing you my not get it covered. On another note we had a 09 classic rental with us and I had a chance to ride it a little and was very impressed by how smooth it is. Zero vibrations and felt very nimble. Did not care for the seat much as it feels very hard compared to mine. Did not think much of the six speed either. Didn't really see much advantage with it. He also burned consistently more gas then my 88 and about equal to my wifes 95 inch ultra. I also have some concerns with the monster tire in the rear regarding cost and longevity. Did like the antilock brakes though. You could stand on the rears and could not skid the tire.

Ive read the horror stories of the oil pumps self destructing and having alot of debris in the cases any one having this problem

Jack, they "can" be a horror story if the older motors do not have the cam tensioners visually inspected in the 20K mile range, the tell tale orange bits or dark brown wear grooves on the nylon guides are the true tale of the tape as to whether you are headed for trouble or not. Oh, don't forget to check the inner one that is so hard to see as well, one could wear much faster than the other...

Back