free website stats program Cam Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Install

bigcletus

Hi Guys:

I'm not a mechanic, only a rider so please bear with me. I have an 07 Touring with Stage 1. I'm planning on having installed at a local indy a set of SE255 cams, with Fuel Moto cam install kit, reuse the pushrods, and Power Vision to replace my current FuelPak. I was speaking to a parts guy at the local HD dealer who told me I'd need compression releases if I do this. I'm sure I read previously that the releases were not necessary. Opinions/advice ??

Thanks

Hi Guys:

I'm not a mechanic, only a rider so please bear with me. I have an 07 Touring with Stage 1. I'm planning on having installed at a local indy a set of SE255 cams, with Fuel Moto cam install kit, reuse the pushrods, and Power Vision to replace my current FuelPak. I was speaking to a parts guy at the local HD dealer who told me I'd need compression releases if I do this. I'm sure I read previously that the releases were not necessary. Opinions/advice ??

Thanks

If you are not changing the compression ratio I say you should not need them, that said it would be easier on your starter and harder on your wallet plus some extra labor and parts JMO

I did it and no compression releases. You compression ratio will still be stock. If I spent any money it would be on some adjustable pushrods. The labor to R&R you stock one will just about pay for adjustable ones. The Indy can just cut the old ones out and save to time on labor.

2 weeks ago I just replaced my battery with another HD model...so I "should" be good to go...hopefully lol

Thanks for the assist...

J

I did it and no compression releases. You compression ratio will still be stock. If I spent any money it would be on some adjustable pushrods. The labor to R&R you stock one will just about pay for adjustable ones. The Indy can just cut the old ones out and save to time on labor.

:s Joe is right, that way you will maximize the out put of that NEW cam:s

Hi Guys:

Thanks

Have a look at the S&S 551 ez start cams they are bolt in cams for the 96 in motors and no compression releases necessary. :D

96" motors DO FINE with the SE255 cams... YES you get More Compression ,,,,,,,That's WHY you go to the 255 in the first place,,,,, for the more POWER..

stock cams intake Close at 30* the SE 255 intake close at 25*

Earlier closing means More compression= More Power PLUS the extra Lift...

IF 103 or going 103 in the future,THEN Get PR Valves installed when down. Not Now...

Other wise go with NONE... 255 do really well in the 96" bikes. MY CHOICES:

You will be BETTER off going with SE slender Tapered Push Rods set from Harley...

Future tear downs and FINE ADJUSTNENTS of the valves to lifter is a MUST in My book...

Not only give YOU the edge on adjustment but Like said a Good Trade off for labor. Then any time the need,,,,,,,, you see......

Have the indy "snip out the old" and replace them with SE slend-taps like I suggested..

Miles ahead of the game.:s

I LIKE Fine adjusting mine.. Sounds like a swiss sowing machine..:D

I do prefer the Dobecks fuelers offered here to HDT members at 50$ off and free shipping...:small3d031:

Your choice there...

signed....BUBBIE

Back