free website stats program Cam Choices? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Choices?

myfrdm

I have a 07 Ultra Classic 96 inch. Whe I purchased it new, I had Rhinehardt True Duals installed with the Screamin Eagle air cleaner. I also installed a Screamin Eagle Tuner and had it Dyno'd at Doc's in Kirkwood, MO. I want to put Cams in it. 75% of the time we are 2-up and I want a little better pull. Can someone suggest the best cams for this purpose. Are there kits available that can be purchased that would include cams, push-rods, gaskets & o-rings & where to purchase.
Thanks,
MYFRDM

There are plenty of good choices out there. Someone with more experience in that department will chime in directly. I love the SE 255's in my 11. You won't be disappointed with a good cam.

I have a 07 Ultra Classic 96 inch. Whe I purchased it new, I had Rhinehardt True Duals installed with the Screamin Eagle air cleaner. I also installed a Screamin Eagle Tuner and had it Dyno'd at Doc's in Kirkwood, MO. I want to put Cams in it. 75% of the time we are 2-up and I want a little better pull. Can someone suggest the best cams for this purpose. Are there kits available that can be purchased that would include cams, push-rods, gaskets & o-rings & where to purchase.
Thanks,
MYFRDM
I don't know Doc's..
That would be a good place to ask and tell him what YOU want and where the RPM Range is that you want. Maybe take His suggestions.

On the HD forms here or others, , Plenty of Low mile take-offs on the SE255.
100$ to 125$ normal for 300$ cams.

Only gaskets is the cam-cover (i re-used mine no problem) and "0" rings, 2 for the cam plate and 1 oil pump. new is a must on camplate.
I have reused my oil pump "0".

Might suggest to install two Studs where the bolts go thru the line up points (easily stripped IF torqued to max to 120" lbs...I use only 90#).

Replace the INA's with the full roller cage bearings
(need a cam bearing puller and installer,,, you can rent or buy)

Take a look at TQ1 cam plate conversion information in self help. Tells a lot you'll need to know.
I like the SE255 cams. More than enough torque on my 09 96" FLHR King. I do two up also and it Does what I Like.... I'm running at 4400 feet and UP so I do loose some in the compression for the alititude.
The 255's early intake close (25*) gives me the Low end torque needed and more compression.

I have 103 barrels bored, pistons fitted, rings clearanced all by
Kirby, Prodrag1320... Heads flowed and Blueprinted by Don of Dewey's Heads up in Wa........ all ready to go... BUT

It runs so Good right now,,,, I am Not in any hurry to tear into that build just yet.

I have SE air,V&H both sides are full size muffler slip-ons and the Gen4 by Dobeck. SE255 cams using SE slender taper adjustables.

I did just replace the stock compensator with a SE comp. Starting problems Hot using that compensator are a thing of the past.

The other cams that you could install is the 48H andrews, it also IS a bolt-in.

Remember IF you go to a cam that has Later intake close, you need More compression to off-set that late timing.
I know a few cams that go to 36* intake close with stock compression pistons, but usually 40* and above on intake valve closing NEED More compression.

Still liking the SE255's as I don't Rev my bike to redline often to get the power (torque) I need. 255's and the 48H (intake closes at 29*)are both good bolt ins.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

Your system seems nice! I would like to know what is your average mpg? :bigsmiley5:

Thanks!
Yesterday two up, set at 14.5 on yellow cruise
(gauge, yellow/ blue shows fuel burned for cruise)

Not lean at 14.5 at all.... and when slow running at no load,,, it goes to Green setting at 13.5 AFR...OR any AFR I choose.

Back to ride:
Easy ride on normal hills or two at 55 to 65 limit. 1/4 of ride 75/80 on freeway.

Netted about 44 to 47 mpg. 3 fill-ups 87* day and WARM here in Az.

No kidding. I love that Gen4.. I get paid Nothing from Dobecks......Just saying that to you guys because their products work good.

Sales do Help to get the HDT forum discounts for you,,,, our members (that's my pay).

signed....BUBBIE

Yesterday two up, set at 14.5 on yellow cruise
(gauge, yellow/ blue shows fuel burned for cruise)

Not lean at 14.5 at all.... and when slow running at no load,,, it goes to Green setting at 13.5 AFR...OR any AFR I choose.

Back to ride:
Easy ride on normal hills or two at 55 to 65 limit. 1/4 of ride 75/80 on freeway.

Netted about 44 to 47 mpg. 3 fill-ups 87* day and WARM here in Az.

No kidding. I love that Gen4.. I get paid Nothing from Dobecks......Just saying that to you guys because their products work good.

Sales do Help to get the HDT forum discounts for you,,,, our members (that's my pay).

signed....BUBBIE

That is really good mpg for that kind of set up!!!

I really want to upgrade like yours on my bike! Need to get $$$...

Thanks for your excellent information! :bigsmiley12:

good info. I am too, wanting to do cams. SE 255, SE 254, woods or andrews. sounds like that you have a good combination.

Bubbies post is good advice. There are many good bolt in torque cams for touring bikes. You don't need head work on a 96" to get 90+ ft. lbs. of torque below 3,000 rpm. Lift of .500 to .550 and less than 235 degrees of duration will give you lots of smiles in any gear. Look at cam mfg. catalogs, and see their recommendations. You can hear sound clips on YOutube, but the best sounding cams at idle have too much duration for low rpm torque.
I confuse myself when I talk about cams. :wall

Back