free website stats program Cam Change Recommendations Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Change Recommendations Please

danthern

2009 FLHRC with a chirp that can't be found. Been trying for over a year, along with dealers and indies. I have other posts detailing the attempts that have been made. Only thing that hasn't been changed in the valve train are the cams. Since they are the beginning of the valve train, I'm getting ready to do just that. Currently have the SE-255's. Should I go back with the same cam or should I beef it up a bit? Thanks in advance

If changing cams, just makes sense to replace the EPA 255 with an aftermarket cam set that will wake up that 96" motor. Andrews 48 or S&S 551are both good choices. If going the S&S route, go with the EZ starts.

The Nightrider website does include some good basic information but the cam data is very limited and outdated. Crane is out of business and Andrews no longer offer the TW44. Many new cam profiles have hit the market since Nightrider posted that information; they need to update the website.:s

If changing cams, just makes sense to replace the EPA 255 with an aftermarket cam set that will wake up that 96" motor. Andrews 48 or S&S 551are both good choices. If going the S&S route, go with the EZ starts.

The cam set that's in it now is part of the 103 big bore kit that was installed before I got the bike. I have no complaints with the torque now, just trying to find my engine noise. Also have compression releases in the heads

The cam set that's in it now is part of the 103 big bore kit that was installed before I got the bike. I have no complaints with the torque now, just trying to find my engine noise. Also have compression releases in the heads

Have you looked at the compression releases. Are they automatic or manual. If memory serves me correctly I had a bike that the releases rattled while running.

Sorry you haven't found the "chirp", but your OP was not about that. Your question was

danthern said:
Currently have the SE-255's. Should I go back with the same cam or should I beef it up a bit?

and that is what I responded to. It makes no sense at all to pull a set of 255 cams to replace them with a new set of 255 cams when there are so many better profiles available. I doubt the cam replacement will solve the chirp issue but who knows.:small3d002::dknow

dbmg raises a valid point. Compression releases will build up with carbon and, in extreme cases, will not close al the way. However, the noise they make is not a "chirp" but more of a "pffft". Still worth checking out which will be tough it the CRs are automatic as they are located in the center of the cylinder head.

Have you looked at the compression releases. Are they automatic or manual. If memory serves me correctly I had a bike that the releases rattled while running.

They're manual. Had them installed recently when I replaced the heads. Occasionally one will stick but it unsticks with a blip of the throttle. That noise sounds like an exhaust leak, definitely not my chirp sound

Sorry you haven't found the "chirp", but your OP was not about that. Your question was

and that is what I responded to. It makes no sense at all to pull a set of 255 cams to replace them with a new set of 255 cams when there are so many better profiles available. I doubt the cam replacement will solve the chirp issue but who knows.:small3d002::dknow

dbmg raises a valid point. Compression releases will build up with carbon and, in extreme cases, will not close al the way. However, the noise they make is not a "chirp" but more of a "pffft". Still worth checking out which will be tough it the CRs are automatic as they are located in the center of the cylinder head.

point taken...I'm pulling the cams to rule them out as the source of the chirp. You confirmed what I was thinking, why not go with something better while I'm there which as you said, was my original question....sorry I strayed

Thank you sir, will do

Last edited by a moderator:
point taken...I'm pulling the cams to rule them out as the source of the chirp. You confirmed what I was thinking, why not go with something better while I'm there which as you said, was my original question....sorry I strayed

No worries, just like to keep things on topic. I doubt that a cam change will solve the chirp issue but, if not, you will have a better running bike albeit still with a chirp. I stand by my original cam recommendations for a cam only upgrade.:icon_wink: There are a couple of others but those two stand out for me. The 48 will pull like the 255 but will make some HP which the 255 and the 48 will carry the TQ out past 4500 rpms; nice flat curve. Of course a good tune is required.:icon_wink:

My experience with mysterious noises from an unknown source are usually discovered accidentally and when discovered one has to wonder why didn't I look there a long time ago.:small3d007:

Back