free website stats program Cam chain tensioners??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain tensioners???

hsoj10

OK, all this talk about the cam chain tensioners has me paranoid. I recently bought a 2006 electra glide standard with 31,000 miles on it. Do I need to have them changed? do I need to be so paranoid? lol I have the extended service plan which the dealer said will cover the tensioners should they fail. Dunno what to do...

You need to at least check them or have them checked. Its a simple process to just check them. Or you could wait until it fries your motor and have it replaced under the warranty. Mine had a chunk floating around in the cam chest for no telling how long and it has less miles than yours does. Good thing it was a big chunk and probably couldn't fit in the oil passages or pump.

Check them i have 38000 on mine went for short ride sunday when i got home my ultra lost oil pressure at idle.I shut it off immeadiatly pulled the cam cover off and had small pieces in cover so now I have roller chain kit and cams from John Wadsworth on order i am now down John is having a hard time getting componants he said it looks like 11/2 to 2 weeks.I should have checked sooner.At least I feel I got it in time.

Check them i have 38000 on mine went for short ride sunday when i got home my ultra lost oil pressure at idle.I shut it off immeadiatly pulled the cam cover off and had small pieces in cover so now I have roller chain kit and cams from John Wadsworth on order i am now down John is having a hard time getting componants he said it looks like 11/2 to 2 weeks.I should have checked sooner.At least I feel I got it in time.

I am just not that mechanically inclined and dont know if I should pay to have them checked if they will be replaced for free when they fail under my extended service plan. seems dumb to pay them for something that will be fixed free if it fails. Maybe I have the wrong thinking.

I do understand however keep in mind you could be out on the road who knows where when they go and they could trash your whole engine.Yes it would be covered but will they give you a bike to ride while it is down? For who knows how long jmo

Yeah. In the big picture, this time will cruise by. And you would have been down CONSIDERABLY longer if the tensioners had nuked and cratered the engine.

If you need help, there are plenty of folks here that have been through this with Herko's kit. Just ask.

TQ

While I understand about paying if they are under warranty, it may not cover it if it is a normal maintenance item. If they break, and your out in the middle of no where, and, they say you should of been aware they needed to be checked, they may not cover your repair. Plus, how will you get the bike back to the shop, what else may be damaged when they fail? I also have the extended warranty and I just had mine changed. I had 38,000 on my 06 electra glide.

I hate getting broke down during a ride. Ounce of prevention.

I am just not that mechanically inclined and dont know if I should pay to have them checked if they will be replaced for free when they fail under my extended service plan. seems dumb to pay them for something that will be fixed free if it fails. Maybe I have the wrong thinking.

Checking them is easy. Then you will Know how they look. Pushing them to failure may end up in a cratered engine. Better to check!

TQ

Last edited:
While I understand about paying if they are under warranty, it may not cover it if it is a normal maintenance item. If they break, and your out in the middle of no where, and, they say you should of been aware they needed to be checked, they may not cover your repair. Plus, how will you get the bike back to the shop, what else may be damaged when they fail? I also have the extended warranty and I just had mine changed. I had 38,000 on my 06 electra glide.

I hate getting broke down during a ride. Ounce of prevention.

Did your warranty cover the replacement? The service manager at my dealer told me I could pay to have them checked and if they needed to be replaced the extended service plan would pay to replace them. This not true?

Back