free website stats program cam chain tensioners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chain tensioners

I did the hydraulic conversion 2 years ago. 38000 miles later every thing is fine. TQ followed shortly after and no problems there. You should read his thread and look at the pictures that he posted.
kemo

I had 60k miles on my 02 flhtc before I even heard of cam chain tensioner replacement. Wow, was I lucky. Worn pretty bad, but still functioning. Since replaced and everything is OK.

Since these are known to wear out, I think that Harley should at least install adjustable push rods so that you could change them out like you would change your oil. They all seem to go about every 30,000 miles. Other than that it is a very good engine! Gear drives tend to cost about $700.00, And that isn't even including the labor. hmmmm I prefer the tensioners if they were easier to change.

Since these are known to wear out, I think that Harley should at least install adjustable push rods so that you could change them out like you would change your oil. They all seem to go about every 30,000 miles. Other than that it is a very good engine! Gear drives tend to cost about $700.00, And that isn't even including the labor. hmmmm I prefer the tensioners if they were easier to change.

Also remember you should replace the oil pump to the newer Higher Volume on the older PRE 07's EVEN if going Gear drive IMO....

The KIT conversion is 429$ worth of good LOW Priced parts compared to buying them separately... Full Hydraulic change-over like Kemo,Steve07 and TQ1 is a excellent way to go...

signed....BUBBIE

I have seen some pictures on this site of the new style cam tensioners worn (07 and up). I think the verdict is still out on them, there is no doubt they are better then the old style.

I would beg to differ that they have any advantage over a properly installed gear drive setup. Might be a mute issue on your bike depending on crank run out, gear drives might not be an option.

I have seen some pictures on this site of the new style cam tensioners worn (07 and up). I think the verdict is still out on them, there is no doubt they are better then the old style.

I would beg to differ that they have any advantage over a properly installed gear drive setup. Might be a mute issue on your bike depending on crank run out, gear drives might not be an option.

I tend to agree with Jonas here, altho they may make a bit of noise gear to gear IMO would be more acurate @ valve timing and be bullet proof. When was the last time you saw a set of timing gears go bad on a 6 cylinder Chevy motor me NEVER JMO

Also remember you should replace the oil pump to the newer Higher Volume on the older PRE 07's EVEN if going Gear drive IMO....

The KIT conversion is 429$ worth of good LOW Priced parts compared to buying them separately... Full Hydraulic change-over like Kemo,Steve07 and TQ1 is a excellent way to go...

signed....BUBBIE

I have also changed to the hydraulic tensioner setup when i did my engine rebuild this last spring. Nice and quiet and so far worry free.

Back