free website stats program Cam Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider.

BOT Machine
In early 2000 Twin cam engines the cam bearings were inadequate. If the engine grenades because of it harley would fix it but no recall was ever issued because of the bearings even though they new the problem existed with the weaker bearings.
The top bearing in this pic is the replacement Torrington bearing and the lower one is the INA bearing that wasn't up to the job but they used it anyway because of cost benefits .

Last edited by a moderator:
My engine was a Dec. 99 build. The bearing was done but I don't know if they used Torrington or just swapped for another ina. Any way to tell without tearing it down

Sorry to say, it has to come apart unless it was done by a dealer and they can check their computer for a part number to reference.

The code 42 is[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Cam position sensor.

I would do the bearings while it is still an option and bef
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]ore they let go causing an engine failure.

Also while you are in there, do the cam chain tensioners too.
[/FONT]

The code 42 is[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Cam position sensor.

I would do the bearings while it is still an option and bef
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]ore they let go causing an engine failure.

Also while you are in there, do the cam chain tensioners too.
[/FONT]
Would this cause the code 42 light to come on ? HD has kite for $500 or would you just do bearings and chain tensioners.

If the sensor was malfunction in some way, it will set the code.

Not knowing what is in the kit, I would go with the Torrington bearings and the tensioners. Make sure they are not replacing the bearings with the INA stock type bearings. Look at the difference in the picture above so you can tell from the spacing between the rollers on the INA and the lack of spacing on the Torrington bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back