free website stats program Calfornia Fines | Harley Davidson Forums

Calfornia Fines

01 rk

Nothing to do with H-D, but just read Aprillia was fined $275,000 by the smog ploice in Ca. The article said Aprilia allowed dealers to modify the bikes.
Since my bike is modified if I go to Ca. could I be fined?

The newest laws in the state of California that I can find for owners is that it is illegal to operate a modified motorcycle that was built after Jan. 1/2013 and registered in California. The bulk of the laws are aimed at manufacturers.
California is the only state that does not exempt small and custom manufacturers.

It just like when the passed the same laws for cars...$100,000 per occurrence of tampering. With all this regulation toward motorcycles maybe after all these years the MAN is finally looking at motorcycles as viable transportation instead of just a hobby, nuisance vehicle......

Seems pretty clear to me after a glance at a HD P&A catalog. They spell out pretty clearly what is and is not legal for use on a public highway. Even less is legal in California. I have in the past chosen to casually ignore the warnings and have mostly changed exhaust pipes. I know that if I were to remove the catalytic converter, install a fuel tuner, install louder non epa stamped pipes, etc, that I would be breaking federal law.

It's just a lot easier for the EPA to go after dealers than private owners.

Someone should start a poll to see how many HDT members have and have not chosen to ignore these laws by installing, or not installing for example, fuel tuners.

Then again, maybe not. May be unwise incriminate oneself in a public forum.

Nothing to do with H-D, but just read Aprillia was fined $275,000 by the smog ploice in Ca. The article said Aprilia allowed dealers to modify the bikes.
Since my bike is modified if I go to Ca. could I be fined?
If I read your post correctly and you move to CA. you have to conform to their laws. If your just going for a visit and your home state where your bike is registered allows mods. you will be fine. CA. or any other state by law can only enforce their smog laws on vehicles registered in their state. Most law enforcement have no idea what other states require.

I live in Los Angeles. I have a neighbor who is originally from Texas that bought a Husqvarna motorcycle here in 2008. It was made in Italy but had California tags. Husqvarna was fined by the state of California for falsely claiming their motorcycles were modified for California but not making the required changes. My neighbor did not have to do anything about his "Husky", only the company/dealers were fined, not any individual owners.

My neighbor also has a Yamaha (looks like a Harley) he bought in Texas that was not running when he moved to Los Angeles. When he finally got it fixed, he found that it was not street legal and he could not get it licensed or sell it in California. . . .

:44:

And the shame of it is what usually starts on the left coast ends up going to the right coast.....

Don't plan on moving anywhere, just visiting, been to Ca. twice on the bike no hassles,the last time was 2010. Was just wondering if you could be pulled over and checked out.
I am pretty sure the laws in Pa. do not allow modifications to the fuel or exhaust systems, but no one bothers you, at least not yet!

Don't plan on moving anywhere, just visiting, been to Ca. twice on the bike no hassles,the last time was 2010. Was just wondering if you could be pulled over and checked out.
I am pretty sure the laws in Pa. do not allow modifications to the fuel or exhaust systems, but no one bothers you, at least not yet!
They won't mess with a out of state registration, They have no idea what your state requires.

Motorcycle Aftermarket Parts Have a look here, seems to me Ca has been more strict than other states for years, not just on bikes but ALL pollution emitting and making it harder to register vehicles. There was a time when they were pushing for ZERO emissions but guess what happened there:p

Back