free website stats program Calcium Chloride | Harley Davidson Forums

Calcium Chloride

SixPak

My boss had our gravel truck yard sprayed with calcium chloride today to control dust. Will this stuff hurt or affect my bike in any way?? I have no way to go around it.

Ya this stuff will eat into everything!!!!! If you have to ride over it make sure it is dry. Wash your bike and rinse it well . Good luck:bigsmiley30:

Ya this stuff will eat into everything!!!!!

Are you sure about that? It is commonly used in PH enhances to RAISE the ph of drinking water. It makes for hard water stains but I did not think it was acidic. Are you sure your not confusing it with sodium chloride.

You ever hear of road salt? That is one of the uses for this stuff. It is the chlorine in salts that cause the corrosion, not the sodium or calcium. You will need to clean your bike frequently and make sure it gets cleaned immediately if it gets wet.

Then it must be just Calcium and not calcium chloride that is used in PH enhancers because your right, what they put on the roads will eat rocker panels out. I remember injecting "Calcium" into the water to raise the PH but it would also increase the water hardness. Actually the reverse of what a water softener does, that is remove the calcium.
Tks!

Once the stuff they use for dust control has soaked in and is dry on top you won't pick up enough to hurt anything. However, after a rain and it's wet again you should wash it off if you splash it on the bike. I use it every year and haven't had a real problem.

You ever hear of road salt? That is one of the uses for this stuff. It is the chlorine in salts that cause the corrosion, not the sodium or calcium. You will need to clean your bike frequently and make sure it gets cleaned immediately if it gets wet.

I just got off the phone with my research buddy and I was wrong. I was thinking of calcium carbonate not Calcium Chloride. And it indeed is not the same compound. The Chloride is very nasty totally unlike the carbonate.

Now I see what happens when you sleep through chemistry class..!:p

Why is it guys always want to make things that explode? We love it. I wonder why that is.?.:D

Back