free website stats program Cable Lube | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cable Lube

Awesome Thanks

I order the stainless option. The sterling chromite is shinier I guess, though mine are about as bright as they need to be

My guess is that they are all the same material (stainless steel braid) and they call it "sterling chromite" to make it unique. You can the pick your finish: shiny (chrome), satin (stainless steel), flat (aluminum). It probably all starts at "flat" and then you soak it for a while in an acid solution to make it progressively "brighter/shiny".

I would think Pledge may work, but I would go with a thicker grease.:D

The lined portion of the cable really reduces the friction and as long as it is relatively straight the wear should be pretty slow. But you will always have the issue of having a braided steel cable sliding against a relatively soft plastic, and it will wear through eventually. In a normal cable, the inner surface of the housing gets burnished, so it actually gets a little better with age. The down fall is when the strands of the cable break or you get a burr in the housing. In a lined cable (at least from my experience) is that they are smooth as silk from day 1. But when you wear a hole in the liner, that is it.

Now matter what, these braided ones in the initial post should last pretty long and I would not hesitate to get them if it was something I wanted. Again, they look really nice, especially a full set. And as far as cables go, it would only be the clutch and throttle cables with the wear. Brake lines are obviously different.

What are Shielding cables?

Shielding cables are used to protect the rider from the alien thought control rays being beamed down from the mother ship. They take the place of the older, bulkier aluminum foil hats that folks had to wear.

Shielding cables are used to protect the rider from the alien thought control rays being beamed down from the mother ship. They take the place of the older, bulkier aluminum foil hats that folks had to wear.

:lolrolling:lolrolling:lolrolling:lolrolling

(My aluminum foil hat fits neatly under my helmet...)

Well then I think my Goose is Cooked because I ain't got none!:D

Bull Dog, nice cables. I use a clear silicome spray I get from Carquest, it's CCM #1055, only cost $3.31 for a 7.5oz can or you can use the high price stuff from harley. The cables don't need to be lubed as much as the levers & controls do, the pre-lube that comes in the cables lasts quite a while.

Now that's funny!

Bodeen

Thanks for the lube tip Chopper! And especially for the Magnum Shielding tip!!! They are awesome. Will be my brand from now on!

Might have to come see your shop this summer on the way back from SD

Back