free website stats program Buying chaps what to look for | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying chaps what to look for

I am kind of the opposite. I wear chaps in the summer when it is hot and full leather pants when it is cooler. My thinking is to dress for "the fall" not just the ride. To each their own.... I would suggest, if possible, try on several styles/manufacturers and sit on your ride.
If you are an averge build most should work, but I tried on a pair that had pockets in a location that was fine standing, but when I sat on my bike could not get to the pocket opening (toll money).

As said before, make sure the stitching is good quality and that you have good fasteners: belt buckle, snaps, zippers, eyelets etc....
For $300 you could definitely go with "made to order". There is a saddle maker near me that will make custom motorcycle chaps for $300. You even get to pick you leather. Excellent work and he stands behind every stitch.

Porter does have the right idea, after all he is in Maryland, and quite honestly, being in SoCal, my idea of cold is just a "breeze" compared to the the Northeast coast LOL...you really have to be a commited HD enthusiast to ride there to be sure!And yes, I found out purely by accident that chaps work well in the summer to keep the heat off the legs surprisingly enough!:hii

I rode in to the East of San Diego on a rental not too long ago...Very nice in Southern CA...very nice weather...

MD isn't as bad as some places, but it does make fitting riding gear different.
I have to get stuff that works with multiple layers.. Again another reason to try chaps (or anything else on) if you can so you can best match the gear to your riding environment.

(My rain gear had to be big enough to fit over all I am wearing....)

Sothern CA would be nice about now.....25F this morning. Too cold for chaps...full leather and Gerbing....:D:D:D

You've heard me talk about Walter Dyer before. Here is the link to them if anyone is interested. Their prices are reasonable as far as leather jackets go and their quality is top notch.
I have their chaps with the zipper flap to keep out the cold & rain. Just remember to get the proper thigh size!
Walter Dyer Is Leather:

Just recieved my "overpants" in the mail yesterday and will put them to the test this weekend( supposed to be mid 40's). I got mine from LeatherUp for $97. They are lined and long. I'm sure they'll be fine for me here in central Fl. Pockets front and back, zipper from thigh to calf, 3 snaps down over the ankle. I'll give my review over the weekend.

Back