free website stats program Buying a sportster: low vs. custom | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying a sportster: low vs. custom

5'10 and 50, 1200 custom (06) was my first Harley (and bike), just sold it for an 09 Heritage. Love it, goes like a rocket, nice chrome, forward controls are great. 2 complaints - the stock seat is aweful for anything over 1/2 hour, and the ride is harsh on country roads - but neither is a problem for city commuting. Hold their value well too - did 3500 kms on mine in 2 months and sold it for exactly what I paid for it. Cheers...

I'm 5'11" 250'ish and wish the forwards were 2-3" farther.

Agreed! I am 6'1" (but less than 250#, ahem), and even with the forward controls, my knees are still above the gas tank... I'm just a little too cramped on it for any sort of comfortable distance riding. This is why I am ALSO getting an '09 RKC... notice I said "also" (I'm keeping the sporty! :tounge)

ride safe, and have fun on the XL... it is as pure as a Harley gets

Drew

It took me quite a while, but I just bought an 2000 883 xlh.

I test rode a 2000 1200c, and wasn't real impressed. It shook too much even at low speeds, and turning was very sluggish.

I test rode the 883 hugger and much prefered it. I've only had it for a day, but so far I'm very happy. I got a good deal on it, and it looks great in flat black with lots of willie g skull accents.

-A

It took me quite a while, but I just bought an 2000 883 xlh.

I test rode a 2000 1200c, and wasn't real impressed. It shook too much even at low speeds, and turning was very sluggish.

I test rode the 883 hugger and much prefered it. I've only had it for a day, but so far I'm very happy. I got a good deal on it, and it looks great in flat black with lots of willie g skull accents.

-A

Yeah, when I rode earlier model Harleys shook way too much, (why I rode metrics since the late 70's) and why I got the 2004 Sporty 1200, the first year of the rubber isolated engine mounts to the frame. :33:

Congrats on your new ride! I was up in SF earlier in November, it was all clear, warm and sunny in the late morning...not a cloud in the sky, riding over the Golden Gate Bridge and up the coastal highlands route on the Toll plaza side ($6 southbound toll!) is probably one of the best rides one can make, along with the Muir Woods Redwood Trees and the 47 mile scenic ride...enjoy the clam chowder and sour dough french bread at the "Wharf"...best there is and YES, you got a lot of catchin' up to do with your Sporty...Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
I'm 5'8" and the forward controlls couldn't feel any better......I love the feel and IMO they couldn't be any better.

Im 5'7" and I have the custom with a mustang seat! Love it!!! Forward controls are great for me cuz I have long legs. Very comfy ride.

Hi all. I noticed alot of you have said you are under 6 feet. I am wanting to do the free ride through harley as I only have less than a year in Alaska. Im 6'3", how uncomfortable would I be on a Custom as I would only be riding it for 5 months due to weather until I trade up?

Flashman, welcome to HDTimeline and before you get a torrent of posts from the bagger crowd to the contrary, being 6'3" maybe a little "tight" but you have forward controls and all the custom "bling" as standard, it is a fine ride. :)

You may want to set the preload on the rear shocks up to position 3 or so to give you more suspension/road clearance. Make sure you adjust the handlebars and all the hand and foot controls to fit you comfortably and naturally. You should be fine...the Sportster experience features a lighter 600 lb bike, decent power and "sporty handling bike" for solo-spirited riding. :s

Just ride it and once you have a few 1,000 miles on it and saddle time, experience and riding style will help you decide if you want to trade up or add a larger ride to your stable. :D

Back