free website stats program Buying 1979 sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying 1979 sportster

babella

Am going to look at a 1979 sportster today. Was this a good year or is this model year a lemon. Would apreciate any info immediately. Thank you

I'm looking for some one that might know where i can get some part's for my wife's 79 sportster. And if anyone could tell me what would be the best Exhaust system and carburetor to run on it right now i have drag pipes and a stock carb on it. And it run's like **** I took it to the Harley shop and thay said its dumpping gas and thats what is makeing it run so bad. So is there anyone out that could help me?

Nesta

I would have to agree with both of your comments. Get one if your're going to get a new carb and if your drag pipes don't have baffles, get some.

Johalber

I have a 79, and you're right, they're lone wolfer's as far as some parts go. Other than that, I love my bike, it's got a serious pair of balls on it.

Hi,

My son recently bought a 1979 sportster it was running great. Then all of the sudden it started jerking in 4th gear I'm a Panhead rider and have not had much experience with Sportster could someone stear me in the right direction. I was thinking it might be a bent shifting fork would appreciate any help. My kid says it runs smooth till you go into 4th gear then it starts jerking like it's trying to jump out of gear.

Hi boabs,

I own a '79. Before you start getting into the tranny, you might want to check the friction plates and spacers first. Before you do that you will want to check into getting a clutch tool, or fabbing one yourself. If it's not the friction plates or spacers, next to check
would be worn gears. Then you might want to check the forks.

HDLover

Hi,

My son recently bought a 1979 sportster it was running great. Then all of the sudden it started jerking in 4th gear I'm a Panhead rider and have not had much experience with Sportster could someone stear me in the right direction. I was thinking it might be a bent shifting fork would appreciate any help. My kid says it runs smooth till you go into 4th gear then it starts jerking like it's trying to jump out of gear.

Back