free website stats program Burnouts ..why? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Burnouts ..why?

Ive never even thought about doing a burnout it will make a mess of he back tyre if thats the way you want to wear it out then your tyre
However what about the strain it puts on the rest of the bike ie lower end of the engine, primary, clutch, gearbox, final drive, front brake, shocks,steering head, and swing arm just as starters
i dont think i could do that to any type of machinery let alone my best bike

Brian

As long as somebody wants to see something, somebody will do it. I'll haul the old interceptor out if I want to do a burnout.

The best "burnout" I ever saw was about ten years ago on the Garden State Parkway. It was during the summertime, my bride and I were heading home from Cape May. It was during the week the most of the local high schools have their graduation, and the kids hit the shore for their version of a college like spring break. Anyway, we're stuck northbound in traffic and sourrounded by cars with teenagers in them. Right infront of me, in the other lane, is some kid on a sportbike. He decides to dazzle his friends with a world class burnout and proceeds to light up the rear tire like nothing I've ever seen. As I'm looking at the smoke and the kids going wild, my eyes glance at the guy next to me. He's sitting in a brand new bright yellow 355 Spyder and the top is down. As the burnout proceeds, I note that his hood is changing from yellow to speckled black, and that the driver is now covered in little black pieces of rubber. The Ferrari driver gets out of his ride, and is to the point of meyhem. He's a big guy who obviously has seen the inside of a gym. He walks up to the kid on the bike (who is still in burnout mode), and literally picks him up off the bike and launches him into the brush on the shoulder of the road. The bike, thankfully, didn't hit anyone, and also made it to the shoulder. The kids are going wild, but what they didn't count on is the cell phone call the guy made right before taking action. Within seconds, the largest, tallest NJ State Trooper that I have ever seen was on the scene. Fifteen minutes later, as traffic starteed to move, passersby were treated to a sinlge Trooper, with about 25 cars pulled over to the shoulder, and 100's of teenegers up against the sides of their cars....Like I said, the greatest burnout I have ever seen.....

The best "burnout" I ever saw was about ten years ago on the Garden State Parkway. It was during the summertime, my bride and I were heading home from Cape May. It was during the week the most of the local high schools have their graduation, and the kids hit the shore for their version of a college like spring break. Anyway, we're stuck northbound in traffic and sourrounded by cars with teenagers in them. Right infront of me, in the other lane, is some kid on a sportbike. He decides to dazzle his friends with a world class burnout and proceeds to light up the rear tire like nothing I've ever seen. As I'm looking at the smoke and the kids going wild, my eyes glance at the guy next to me. He's sitting in a brand new bright yellow 355 Spyder and the top is down. As the burnout proceeds, I note that his hood is changing from yellow to speckled black, and that the driver is now covered in little black pieces of rubber. The Ferrari driver gets out of his ride, and is to the point of meyhem. He's a big guy who obviously has seen the inside of a gym. He walks up to the kid on the bike (who is still in burnout mode), and literally picks him up off the bike and launches him into the brush on the shoulder of the road. The bike, thankfully, didn't hit anyone, and also made it to the shoulder. The kids are going wild, but what they didn't count on is the cell phone call the guy made right before taking action. Within seconds, the largest, tallest NJ State Trooper that I have ever seen was on the scene. Fifteen minutes later, as traffic starteed to move, passersby were treated to a sinlge Trooper, with about 25 cars pulled over to the shoulder, and 100's of teenegers up against the sides of their cars....Like I said, the greatest burnout I have ever seen.....
Someone mention Cape May??

As far as the burnouts, I don't get it myself, it is cool on funny cars and also serves a purpose, but as far as these guys burning off the tires of their bikes, it just does nothing for me.

in drag racing,we have to do it or we`ll blow the tire off right at the line,but the clowns who put their ft wheel up against something and burn the tire to the rim are idiots,we i used to hot rod on the street,a burn out was a black line about 150' with 4 little spaces where you speed shifted thru all 5 gears,not this (EDIT) their doing now

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Like others, I don't understand it, but it's fun as heck to watch. There's nothing that pleases a crowd more than a crazy biker shredding a tire. Love the Ferarri story...great read!
WAP.gif

I agree with fin 676. Too hard on the machine and tires cost too much. And if you blow the tire and can't have it replaced right there ...

I enjoy venting from time to time.

A burn-out is a very mis-guided attempt to emulate the drag racers of ol'. Before the days of multi-stage clutches, the common practice was to rev the engine to launch speed and dump the clutch, producing an exciting and smoke-filled race.

This is why, after I got my driver's license years ago, I left a black mark on the pavement at every stop. Wasted rubber, and wasted gas, but it was fun. Brake stands (burn outs) also emulate the tire warming sessions before the staging of a drag race. It implies power and nerve, even if that's not what it really means.

I used to do it to look mature and confident. Now I do it to feel younger and less inhibited, but I do it a lot less frequently!

i remember the pics of you frying the bike doing a burnout LOL

Could this be BIGLEW? - He DOES looks pretty big in the saddle...rider is probably sending smoke signals to his kids not to do this at home...:laugh

scan0001.jpg

Back