free website stats program Build Your Own Stage 1 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Build Your Own Stage 1

I'm new on here and have questions about the road to upgrading my 2004 XL883 Custom to a 1200. What I have done so far is slip-on pythons, and a K & N filter (in the stock air box) and I have on order the CV Performance Carb kit. I have read so much confusing and conflicting information that maybe someone can help me iron this all out. My husband and I each own the same bike and he has done the same upgrades as I have. Is this enough to achive a true stage one upgrade or is there something else that we should be doing? Also, my husband only has basic mechanical skills, so we usually hire someone to do the difficult stuff.

this is a great site
thank you

I am sweetening up an '03 Anniversary Road King Classic.

I just installed the DIY Stage-1 air cleaner from this HDT tip. I selected the chrome back-plate option with the K&N filter. I'm glad I spent the extra. It looks great.

I have an upgraded football cover, so I also needed a special adapter to use it with the SE air cleaner. This was the easiest upgrade I have done to date. It just bolted right together, like it was designed to do so.

Coupled with Hooker Tuned-Flow slip-ons, and a TFI tuner, she needed quite a bit more fuel that the basic TFI setup stated for the slip-on/airbox combo with no downloads, but she runs like a striped ape now. Great investment. The power improvement is evident to me in that the scooter pulls right up and out, even when I roll on from higher gears at lower rpms. Before the TFI she would ping like a popcorn machine, and bog. The TFI took care of that. Now, with the addition of the SE airbox, she will pull good and hard till she gets up on the stock cam and then she takes off like a shot.

Thanks Mr. Data and the rest of the contributors to this project.
Rich P

Now for the tip. I went to Advance Auto Parts yesterday for something else and asked if they could order the K&N filter (HD-0800). The part came up and was over $50. When I said I would just order online they told me to print it out and they would match it.

Now, I have no idea if it is still available, but Chicago HD has it in there catalog as part# 29442-99D. Price: $33.56.

TC FILTER ELEMENT

K&N has the cross reference on their site.

Filter Cross Reference for K&N Part HD-0800

I printed out both, took them back to the store, paid $33.56+tax and the filter will be here Friday. Gotta love a bargain!

BigEd

Unfortunately I found this article AFTER I had already bought an SE AC kit with all the components Mr. Data noted in his opening, including the gray backplate. Reading Gliders comments about the gray backplate and how it'd look on a black engine. Yes, doesn't look very good.

I was reading Bid Ed's comments with interest and checked with Advance Auto and they will match price on the K&N filter for whatever price you can find online. Checking the 29442-99D ($33.56) on Chicago Harleys website, this is the pn# on the HD filter that comes in the kit. I'm sitting here looking at that pn stamped on the filter in my kit. This pn is not the K&N filter.

So just a heads-up. I believe Ed got a hold of someone that hadn't had their 2nd cup of coffee and wound up getting a K&N for the price of the HD SE air filter. But still hard to argue with a good deal. :D

Back