free website stats program Buffeting | Harley Davidson Forums

Buffeting

Just bought a new Softail Custom and love it except for a windshield problem. I ordered the quick release standard height windshield. Bad choice. The airflow from underneath the windshield was so bad at 60 miles and hour I could hardly focus on the road. I thought about buying lowers from Memphis Shades but don't really care for the look. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?

Ron

I had a low profile windshield on my last bike and it caused a lot of buffeting at road speeds. I found that this product worked even better than advertised in keeping the wind turbulence out of my face and it works well down into the 30 MPH range around town too. I have to give them a thumbs up on the product and I am not an easy sell . They are a very good quality also.

Jack Halterman's Leather AeroVest, windshielding accessories for bikers, motorcycle riders

Simple,
Go out and get the chrome lowers that Harley makes for the bike. Problem gone! One caviet, a touch more heat from the engine. Seems they remove some of the cooling flow. They look great and you might not notice the slight increase in heat. I did it on my Heritage and it solved the "helmet in a blender" syndrome!

Good luck

Ron

I had a low profile windshield on my last bike and it caused a lot of buffeting at road speeds. I found that this product worked even better than advertised in keeping the wind turbulence out of my face and it works well down into the 30 MPH range around town too. I have to give them a thumbs up on the product and I am not an easy sell . They are a very good quality also.

Jack Halterman's Leather AeroVest, windshielding accessories for bikers, motorcycle riders

That is truly bizarre.
I see how it works and believe it.
Just can't imagine putting it on for every ride in the wind.
I'm going to look into lowers myself.
But, thanks for the insight into a novel way to tackle a problem.

Hi Ron, good question, I had it myself. I'll check Gliders suggestion.

Not to many folks with our last name.

Rick Mastin

Yup...had the same problem. 60mph and my eyelids were over my eyebrows. Helmet strap liketa chocked me to death. Couldn't see or hear a damn thing.

HD deflectors and problem solved. Kinda shinny though. I can feel the heat difference.

Ride safe

Vince

I put one of the harley nostalgia windshields on my fatboy it's the wide full height model and it's perfect....love it.....I don't get buffeting...I was on I-95 today outside Savannah running between 75 and 80 today with no ill effects.....the only thing I kept thinking about was wishing my 03' had a 6 speed tranny....

Back