free website stats program Broken Speedo??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Speedo???

up@12

I have a speedo that seems to be about 15km off. However my odometer and trip do not work at all. 1: Is there away to fix the odometer or trip? 2: Is there a way to fix my speedo? Or is the only option to buy a new speedo?

Thank you

Up@12, I'm not sure if this will help, but I looked your problem up in my service manual, and the only thing I could find in the trouble shooting section says,

1. Contaminated speedometer sensor (remove sensor and clean off metal particles).

2. Loose connections.

In section 8.34, page 8-63, it shows the picture of the location. I looked on my bike, (softail deuce) the speed sensor is on the top of the transmission, as you are facing it on the right side of the bike, the speed sensor is towards the back of the transmission, on the top. It has a silver screw on the back part, and a black plastic/rubber piece on the front of the sensor.

The speed sensor connector is located towards the center of the bike, in front of the rear tire, above the TSM/TSSM, towards the right side of the bike.

Okay Glider, can you help here? Am I close?

Up@12, I'm just trying to help, no guarantees......kind of a guess, I'm just trying to learn something here too. :D Good luck! :s

Is the turn signal cancel not controled also by speed sensor. If your turn signals cancel Ok I would be looking at the speedo head

Thank you for all your help everyone but before I go to much farther isn't my speed picked up off of my front tire?? And if it is does everything listed above still appy? Thanks again for all your help

I think you are correct. I believe your 1991 bike would still have a cable drive speedo so you could have a stripped speedo gear or a broken cable. Pull the cable out and check to see if it is broken, maybe just needs lubing, but could be a bad speedo head. If the head is defective you can send me a PM and a I direct you to a speedo shop close to me

Ken

Sorry, I'm still learning. I guess it would help if I looked at the year model too!

Back