free website stats program Broken mount for kickstand | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken mount for kickstand

jerryw618

Well some dumb cager backed into my bike and knocked it over . They broke my shifter trashed the fender and bent my kickstand forward , curled it up, and broke the kickstand mount.

I;m really concerned because i dont know if the mount can be fixed?????? is this something they can weld the cracks or would they cut the mount off and weld a new one on or what??? and how safe and strong would it be after the repairs ??
:bigsmiley30:

Did this cager leave his insurance information with the bike (or you). If so you shouldn' t have to worry about specifics, just take it to the local Dealer and tell them to fix it.

For any other scenario, I would ask some reputable professional welding shops in your area to look at the damage and give their professional opinions. If you take pics or explain specifically Bubbie (on here) could help you out since he is the El-premo professional welder in person. If he don't come by this thread you might try PMing him.

Just to buy the new jiffy stand I think is around $150 bucks.

Did this cager leave his insurance information with the bike (or you). If so you shouldn' t have to worry about specifics, just take it to the local Dealer and tell them to fix it.

For any other scenario, I would ask some reputable professional welding shops in your area to look at the damage and give their professional opinions. If you take pics or explain specifically Bubbie (on here) could help you out since he is the El-premo professional welder in person. If he don't come by this thread you might try PMing him.

Just to buy the new jiffy stand I think is around $150 bucks.

hello , I have full insurance coverage and i have the other parties ins info. i filed a claim with my co. they sent an adjuster out yesterday to see the bike and get me an estimate , I also got hold of the other parties ins. co. to file with them they are sending an adjuster out on monday , and im going too get the repair quote from the shop , im not settleing for a lowball settlement i want the shop quote and at least 1/3 more to cover the little extras found during the repair.

thanks ill look for bubbie on here i do have pics ill try too post them .

It sounds like you have things under control. Just to add my limited experiences with HD and ins. They don't usually "repair" (weld) broken frame parts. If your talking about the frame lug that item #17 in the att. bolts to, it's going to be a high dollar estimate to r&r the frame. How you actually get it repaired after the settlement is your business.
Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2007 Harley Davidson Street Bike SPORTSTER® XL 883L (CR) Parts List

Hello there , yes its the lug that #17 attaches too (the frame mount for the kickstand) so far things are under control , but i'm not feeling too good about this they may want too total the bike and im not letting that happen its a great bike and i dont want too lose it. so i might have a fight on my hands. heres a pic if you look close youll see the kickstand mount is split.

Attachments

• IMG_0147A.JPG
    IMG_0147A.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 46
Hello there , yes its the lug that #17 attaches too (the frame mount for the kickstand) so far things are under control , but i'm not feeling too good about this they may want too total the bike and im not letting that happen its a great bike and i dont want too lose it. so i might have a fight on my hands. heres a pic if you look close youll see the kickstand mount is split.

If they total it buy it back from the insurance company:s

Jerry what State are you in ? In Florida the law will not allow you keep the bike after it's been totalled by the Insurance Company. You can buy it back from them (or from the salvage company the insurance deals) with, but it can only be used as "salvage" parts and you cannot get a legal title with that frame vin number. You would have to buy a new frame.

Usually (in Florida) if they offer you the totalled amount you only have two choices. Take the amount and give up the bike OR relinquish the claim and keep the bike.

I went thru this with my old Truck back in 2005. I ran into the back of guy that stopped dead in front of me. I was only going 15 mph and it did no damage to his big trailer hitch, but ruined the entire front end of my Truck. Took out the AC evaporator, Radiator, Radiator wall, battery shelf, hood and one fender. They offered me $1600 for the truck. I turned it down and got the truck fixed for around $1300. It would have cost me $5000 to get a truck in the same condition, so I had to spend the money.

Jerry what State are you in ? In Florida the law will not allow you keep the bike after it's been totalled by the Insurance Company. You can buy it back from them (or from the salvage company the insurance deals) with, but it can only be used as "salvage" parts and you cannot get a legal title with that frame vin number. You would have to buy a new frame.

Usually (in Florida) if they offer you the totalled amount you only have two choices. Take the amount and give up the bike OR relinquish the claim and keep the bike.

I went thru this with my old Truck back in 2005. I ran into the back of guy that stopped dead in front of me. I was only going 15 mph and it did no damage to his big trailer hitch, but ruined the entire front end of my Truck. Took out the AC evaporator, Radiator, Radiator wall, battery shelf, hood and one fender. They offered me $1600 for the truck. I turned it down and got the truck fixed for around $1300. It would have cost me $5000 to get a truck in the same condition, so I had to spend the money.

hello there i'm in pennsylvania , im going too do everything i can too keep it , i can replace the shifter and fender myself , and i could probably get a local welder to weld up the split mount . so im not looking at too much for parts actually , im not sure if i can get the fender already painted in my color otherwise the paint will be another expense. i ll need to see what kind of settlement they offer and decide what i want too do.

hello there i'm in pennsylvania , im going too do everything i can too keep it , i can replace the shifter and fender myself , and i could probably get a local welder to weld up the split mount . so im not looking at too much for parts actually , im not sure if i can get the fender already painted in my color otherwise the paint will be another expense. i ll need to see what kind of settlement they offer and decide what i want too do.

If your paint is stock you can get it from the MOCO already painted, it may take a while and cost a bunch but it will be right, My rear fender and tank took 16 weeks Best of luck:s

they're totaling my bike

hi all they're going too total my bike because of the broken kickstand mount saying frame damage and the HD shop wants to replace the frame, they wont weld the broken mount and certify it as repaired . But insurance company is giving me a settlement and doing a low salvage rate and letting me buy it back , so now i need a good welder in the southeast PA , philadelphia area. any recommendations and or ideas too help me out here ??

thanks and ride safe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back