free website stats program Broken Barrel Key | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Barrel Key

HarryB737

Playing with the dogs in the floor the other night, had both sets of keys in my pocket, Bike key & house/car keys... needless to say my barrel key got bent to the point it was cracked & out of round.. I had the other spare key & the number to order replacements. (Set of 2) from H-D dealer... (Ouch) are there other options ? I've already ordered set from dealer this time.

They were around $35 for the set of 2, which seemed high to me. I'm glad they weren't like some car keys w/the chip in them. Some of those replacements are over $100.

They were around $35 for the set of 2, which seemed high to me. I'm glad they weren't like some car keys w/the chip in them. Some of those replacements are over $100.

Harry, when I ordered spare "Willie G." ignition key, the special order lead time was about 3 weeks after I showed my registration and key number. Are the "Barrel" type in stock...or was are they special order also? :57:

Harry, when I ordered spare "Willie G." ignition key, the special order lead time was about 3 weeks after I showed my registration and key number. Are the "Barrel" type in stock...or was are they special order also? :57:

NewHD74Fan... You are correct, it was a special order. The sales person said about 10 days, so I'll wait... I told my wife she'll now have something else for my stocking :s The spare key will be of great use, I'll just be a little more careful with it.

If it just a plain barrel key then about any key shop should be able to make you a copy. I had 2 spares made for under $10. Worth a try and they had them done the same day.

I only paid $6.00 for my keys at the locksmiths shop. He had no problem cutting the keys. He says that he sells the blanks to my H/D dealer
kemo

No sense paying the HD (hundred dollar) for a 2 dollar key. As other have mentioned go to a locksmith. Ask your friends and see if they have the same key number as yours, then have spare maded.

Local locksmith charges 3 bucks a key. In fact the factory key had a "catch" to it when turning the ignition. His duplicates don't. Probably just luck but I'll take it. He also rides a beautiful Ultra and parks it inside at the front of his shop. Good advertising.

If it just a plain barrel key then about any key shop should be able to make you a copy. I had 2 spares made for under $10. Worth a try and they had them done the same day.

Should be. I had a handful made at the Lone Star Rally a few years ago (I think they were about $5 each). No more complicated than regular keys. But check ALL the spares you get to make sure each one works in all the keyed spots. Nothing like ASSUMING to catch you off-guard!

TQ

Back