free website stats program Brighter Head Lights | Harley Davidson Forums

Brighter Head Lights

rallen3

Make sure the wire to the headlight is not overheating; you might have to change the wire size to handle the extra wattage the stock bulb is 55/65

Re: Brighter Headlights

Make sure the wire to the headlight is not overheating; you might have to change the wire size to handle the extra wattage the stock bulb is 55/65

Good observation I was just about to say that you could have a **Fire hazard**

This is a link on a Motorcycle Headlight Relay, to allow you to install a larger bulb in your light.

This is what is on my bike now.....

I have been running a 100/80w H4 bulb for a couple of years now and yes I did have a meltdown with the connector to the bulb.

There is a 30amp fuse fitted and plenty of room in the nacelle for the relays.

So now my 100/80w bulb is drawing it's current along a piece of wire that is designed for it.

the wiring.jpg
PICT0002.jpg
PICT0004.jpg
PICT0006.jpg
PICT0007.jpg

Re: Brighter Headlights

It’s important to replace the earth wire to the bulb as well as the power supply, I used two relays one for main and one for dip beam, I ran an earth and power wire direct from the bikes battery, all terminals are crimped and then soldered where ever possible for added durability, I purchased a replacement three pin headlamp bulb connector from a motor factor, that allowed me to completely upgrade the wiring to the 100/80w bulb, one more thing, you should never rely on just crimped connectors especially on more heavy duty applications.

All wires and connections have been covered in a double helping of heat shrink to give it that more professional look,

Just one thing you must be aware of, by upgrading to a 100w bulb and renewing the wiring, (as you have to or a fire is imminent), you are potentially creating more things that can go wrong like two relays extra wiring 12 more connections soldered or not can still give problems in later life!!

pict005.jpg

Back