free website stats program break in procedure? | Harley Davidson Forums

break in procedure?

arkie

I intro'd myself a few days ago after joining, been reading, still not quite bought a Harley yet.

First, is there a general file or FAQ containing all the newbie type questions? I hate to rehash what probably everyone else already knows. I'll read that and leave y'all alone :)

But, since I may yet get a new heritage classic soon and would be riding it home from the dealer approx 150 miles, is there a breakin and how much riding until the first oil change, and of course what is the best oil to use.........? another smiley :) I know these are hot topics with other makes of bikes. Some people ride easy for 4-500 miles and then do an oil change and others say go hard and fast for 20 miles and then change the oil. I know all the quirks about my current bike and brand but it seems like these Harleys are a different breed so, the questions!

I know new tires can be squirrley at first. Any other suggestions on the first few hundred miles?

Again if there is a file containing all this type stuff please direct me to it. I don't want to start a big argument. Thanks........

I might also suggest playing around with the search function of this forum. Just a couple key words will usually direct you to multiple threads addressing your questions.

Welcome, by the way!

This is a very good way to seat the rings on a new motor so they seat fully all around the bore. It forces the rings out on accel and decel (both top and bottom in the piston grooves) so they seat completely to the cylinder and not just in the high spots when running it easy during break in.

Find a road where there is no traffic and get it up to third gear. Accel from 30-60 using a substantial amount of throttle (around 3/4 + ) and coast back down to 30 again . Do this 10 times and your rings are seated. Keep speed to a reasonable limit and vary it on the parkways with no lugging and no high RPM's. Then enjoy it.

I change the first oil change at 100 miles with a filter, then again at 1000. From there I go at 2500 miles with a filter along with the primary and trans. It's overkill but that's the way I like to do things. You can do the trans and primaty every 5000 too if you want to with no problems.

As far as oil, that also is in the tech section for the looking.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

I might also suggest playing around with the search function of this forum. Just a couple key words will usually direct you to multiple threads addressing your questions.

Welcome, by the way!

The search function has now been reduced to the entry of TWO words to make it more functional and user friendly, so if your first try doesn't net you anything, reword it and try again. Usually entering more than the two words will get you the results you need a bit easier.

Thanks for that post Dr. D :D

Also If you click on the header of the links that DK posted , it will take you to the post itself in the tech section that has active links in them to various information. Easier than copying and pasting them.

Wouldn't really start any arguments Arkie, but it's good you're asking if there's an area where all these questions have already been answered. If you click on the Quick Links Tips Forum, you'll find a scroll down list where many of your questions may be answered. For example...

I just knew there was probably something like this. Thanks for pointing it out. What you're looking for is always in the last place you look!

Thanks again.

new tires are not squirrley thats a myth

Really.. I can't say that I can prove it, although I do tend to take it easy until new tires are scuffed a bit myself. Tire manufacturers admit their tires are slick for the first 100 miles or so. I've been advised by many veteran riders that new tires need to be scuffed up before they're ready for high performance. I suppose they could all be wrong.

If it's a myth at least it errs on the side of safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
glider, i got 2700 miles on my dynna, can i still do yuor break in method. i felll my bike lakes something, it fells weak for an 09dynna

all Good advice here , as glider says lugging the engine is something you dont want to due , being its your first HD be sure to keep the rpms up enough so you dont lug the engine during your breakin period. happy riding....

This is a very good way to seat the rings on a new motor so they seat fully all around the bore. It forces the rings out on accel and decel (both top and bottom in the piston grooves) so they seat completely to the cylinder and not just in the high spots when running it easy during break in.

Find a road where there is no traffic and get it up to third gear. Accel from 30-60 using a substantial amount of throttle (around 3/4 + ) and coast back down to 30 again . Do this 10 times and your rings are seated. Keep speed to a reasonable limit and vary it on the parkways with no lugging and no high RPM's. Then enjoy it.

I change the first oil change at 100 miles with a filter, then again at 1000. From there I go at 2500 miles with a filter along with the primary and trans. It's overkill but that's the way I like to do things. You can do the trans and primaty every 5000 too if you want to with no problems.

As far as oil, that also is in the tech section for the looking.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Would you do this on the first time out?

Back