free website stats program Brake pad Removal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake pad Removal

I just walked out to the shop to double check. I have a photographic memory but no film. The caliper mounting bolts are 10 mm 12 point and so are the pad pins. The fluid line on the caliper is also 10 mm. The line on the reservoir the 11 mm 12 point socket won't go on and the 7/16 12 point is a bit loose but probably would work. Isn't there a reverse torx socket? I think VW uses them a lot. My Heritage and my wife's Deluxe are both the same. I'm not changing pads yet, Just getting the tools for when I need them.

On the one "loose" fit one, you may want to try CRAFTSMAN Sears/K-Mart/DoIT Center ones in both 11mm/12 point & 7/16"/12 point if buying new. Remember, tools do wear, and some sockets fit snug because they are more accurately broached and some have plating which may affect the final fit. If you have older sockets, they do wear if used often...hence the Lifetime Guarantee/exchange should allow a swap, as the Thin Wall construction can cause the socket to crack if highly stressed, been there...!

My toolbox is an amalgam of Craftsman, Proto, Snap-ON, MAC, Thorsen, Allen, Crescent and others collected over the years. And when you get into the smaller metric sizes, there are "half-sizes" that are common, like 4.5mm, 5.5mm, 6.5mm if you look hard enough, as well as 16mm, 18mm, also rare...

Last edited:
My tool box must look like yours, a mix of brands. However, my 10mm/12point and 7/16/12 point sockets are both new Snap-ons. I put the caliper in both and there is a hair's difference, not sure which color.

geezer #2 in the pic is the pad pin, is that 10mm 12 point? I have not done pads on a 08 or later with the new brakes and have never thought to look,
brakecaliper08later.jpg

Yep Chopper, they are all 10mm/12 point heads on the calipers. Well on the 09 Softails at least. Is there anything between a 11 mm and 7/16 for the line on the reservoir?

Thanks geezer I need to catch up with the times, couldn't tell you the size on the pin bolt and I sure can't tell you the size on the reservior line bolt, if the sockets are new sometimes my first time use I've had to lightly tap the scocket on but snap-on is a pretty good fix, new or used. Next time someones over with the new brakes I'll find out and let you know. Thanks for the info

Dont be confused by metric and american some cross over exactly if in doubt refer to a manual nothing worse than stripping a bolt in a critical area like brakes and it removing banjo bolts I always use new crush washers for peace of mind

Sorry guys, I was wrong again. Don't know why I was looking at the front caliper when it was clear you were talking about the back one. Chopper, the pad pin is a 1/4 12 point socket. Now I see why it has to be a thin one. Sorry for my mix-up.

Gee thanks geezer, I'm so confused now if I owned a 09 I'd have to take it to a dealer to have my brake pads changed:)

Back