free website stats program Brake Noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Noise

Ironmark is pretty much correct for conventional disc brakes (after I prewash everything with clear water first to get the loose stuff outta there) then I use a shoe lace to strop the exposted disc piston so none of that debris will be shoved into the bore when I do push 'em back in.

ABS equipped brakes may need to be bled from the bleeder valve to prevent shoving contaminated fluid back into the tiny passages, also ABS senses position of the pistons, like the upstream proportioning valve in our 4 wheeled cages, which sometimes requiries the dealer to properly bleed and center the ABS sensor within.

I went to the dealer and asked them to check a box of pads for a softail. The pads did not have any anti-harmonic paste, nor did it have shims. The parts rep. told me H.D. doesn't believe the pads require anything to be added to them to prevent noise.

In that case, you could try beveling the trailing edge a bit...but I am kinda concerned that they did the work and did not give you ALL the old parts back...I am positive that there are stainless shims that clip to the back of the pads, and I am also sure the old ones had them too.

Last edited:
When the pads can move just a bit thats where the harmonic comes in, thats why the shims and some silglide(Napa) product by name keep the pads from rattling and no noise, also beveling or chamfering the leading edges of the pads as NEWHD said works been doing it for years with good results:s

Thanks guys. I plan to add the sil glide and bevel the edges; I might as well do both while the pads are off the bike.

You all can use Napa Silglide like you would use dilectric grease its the same thing:p

I went to the dealer and asked them to check a box of pads for a softail. The pads did not have any anti-harmonic paste, nor did it have shims. The parts rep. told me H.D. doesn't believe the pads require anything to be added to them to prevent noise.

I have replaced the pads on my 02 Heritage many many times (53k) on my buddies 02 as well (52k) and the pads have never ever come with shims or paste. I have never had any vibration or problem, always careful to not get anything on the surface before installing the new pads. I have also tried pads from the indy shop, pads are the same and work just as well.

I have replaced the pads on my 02 Heritage many many times (53k) on my buddies 02 as well (52k) and the pads have never ever come with shims or paste. I have never had any vibration or problem, always careful to not get anything on the surface before installing the new pads. I have also tried pads from the indy shop, pads are the same and work just as well.

Some brake pads are made with virgin steel , stop Laughing Glider and Hobbit, and the backing plate has a coating so shims may not be used , That been said I still like some Silglide on my pads i hate noisey brakes:bigsmiley18:

Back