free website stats program Brake Lines | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Lines

Are you saying that the brake line is threaded .? are they all done that way.? if so I wont have any problem fixing it.

Guythunder; I was thinking wrong about your problem, Fin is on the right track. You need a longer rod end or actuator (#36 in att diagram). This is the rod that goes from front of the master cyl. to your pedal. Your brake lines have banjo fittings that are metric sized. Plus moving the master cylinder is harder than installing a longer rod, which can probably be fabricated.

open this link, select parts finder, select year, go to Fatboy, select Rear brake.
Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 1991 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLSTF Fat Boy (BM) Parts List

Last edited:
Nothing is ever easy when it comes to changing anything on my bike. But I would think that you are right, All I need to do is to find someone to extend the rod for me, Just more time that my bike is going to be down. Thanks for your help.

Are you saying that the brake line is threaded .? are they all done that way.? if so I wont have any problem fixing it.

Yup, I took the wrong approach here, your rear brake hose/ line is 1 piece with a brake switch in between, the hose may be long enough to stretch a few inches, tho you may have to mount it in a different spot, the rod will probably be too short tho and an extension or replace ment will be needed

HD91FLHT026.gif
Here is a picture of a softail set up

I have a 1991 Fat Boy, My question is I had to move my floorboards forward 2 inches because I had my ankle fuzzed and it will be easer for me to shift.
My question is the brake line for the rear, What are most people doing to extend the brake line.? Can you buy a brake line that is extended out of the hard tubing, Or do I need to go with the Braided Stainless line. Seams like a waste of money to go with the Stainless cause you wont even see much of it running under the bike. Thanks.
buy another softail line , cut the line on the bike where you can put a union on it as to hide the union up under half way between the motor and trany . then cut the other line 2 " longer than the piece you removed and hook it to the union . this way you don't have to mess with the brake light switch block, it stays in place and if you are not happy with it ,it can be put back to stock very easy:wall

You know I haven't looked at it yet, Going to do the work next Saturday, I don't know if the master cylinder moves with the floor boards or not. It's a (1991 fat boy).....If the master cylinder stays where it is then I can just cut the plunger rod that connects the pedal and the master cylinder and weld in a 2" piece, Then I am good to go. Does anybody know if the master cylinder moves with the floor boards or not....

On my '94 Heritage the floor boards move independent of the master cyl. and the brake pedal. I purchased a Walters Workshop extended brake pedal so I could move my foot further forward.

Thanks for the Info, Looks like the master Cyl. will stay where it is, That makes this job a whole lot easer. I also bought an extended brake pedal from Kuryakyn I had another one different brand before but this one will match my shifting levers. Thanks for the help.

Back