free website stats program brake help | Harley Davidson Forums

brake help

ashtray

Hi all, new member here,and hope someone can point me in the right direction, or any direction at all. I have a 93 ultra and when the brakes are applied i lose all my gauges and rear lights and directionals. Any suggestions????

Hi all, new member here,and hope someone can point me in the right direction, or any direction at all. I have a 93 ultra and when the brakes are applied i lose all my gauges and rear lights and directionals. Any suggestions????

Welcome to The Forum, check the connections on the battery first

Front brakes, rear brakes or either? If just one, front or back. I would unhook the brake light switch for the offender and try again.

first go to the harley shop with that break bulb in hand

get the parts guy to run down the right bulb

replace the bulb it may have a broken shunt , $2 not worth even thinking about throw away

otherwise: loose ground. i'm not sure on harley but there may be more than one ground (battery return, spark return (same as batt usu), ground for electronics (may be 12 v diff though, may be 5v). never connect to wrong ground.

(these are general elec tips, always do these)

1) insure batt is good on any job engine or electric, period

2) pull fuses to isolate which circuit is bad or which ground is leaking or what. narrow it down.

you i think have a simpler problem, just bad bulb or loose ground connector

sometimes "pluggable pin connectors" go bad, so wiggle those

make sure your key in ignition is right / not sloppily turned. wiggle that see if lights go on and off. is it solid?

Back