free website stats program Brake Fluid Contamination | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Fluid Contamination

Depends on what "contaminated" means. Contaminated as in the incorrect DOT fluid or Contaminated as in battery acid.:)

The wrong DOT fluid should not really destroy the switches. I really don't think a switch is "O" ring "typed" based on the fluid. At least I have never seen brake light switches built fluid specific.

If the switches test GOOD with an ohm meter, then it should work..?

Sorry, I should have elaborated. I took my bike in for a service at at Harley dealer, apparantly, they washed the bike afterwards and the brake fluid had a lot of water in it. I took it back a couple weeks later to tell them and they supposedly flushed the system, I still got a little water contamination for a few more months and I bled the system and got some gunk out of the line. I am thinking about flushing the system myself. I just thought that with the contamination, it may not get the pressure it needs for the switch, or does anyone have anyother ideas why the light stops working, works fine with the hand brake.

Have my doubts the fluid would cause this, May try another after market switch, JMO

I agree with Jack. Water really should turn on the switch just fine. It also should take longer than 6 months for water to destroy a new pressure switch.

I really am not too crazy about the hydraulic switches HD uses for the rear brake light. I wish the Rear switch was "mechanical lever position" triggered like the front brake switch is. Lever position is both faster reacting and more reliable than a hydraulic switch...

I agree with Jack. Water really should turn on the switch just fine. It also should take longer than 6 months for water to destroy a new pressure switch.

I really am not too crazy about the hydraulic switches HD uses for the rear brake light. I wish the Rear switch was "mechanical lever position" triggered like the front brake switch is. Lever position is both faster reacting and more reliable than a hydraulic switch...

Hoop, thats how our old Mechanical rear brakes were set up and never had any problems:s

Back