free website stats program Bill and Sharon's 2011 Roadtrip. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bill and Sharon's 2011 Roadtrip.

Day 6, got up to a very overcast day and found that it had apparently just stopped raining so we took our time getting ready and finally headed out about 9:30, took I90 ac\oss to I190, pretty uneventful other than a couple of rain showers (played boyscout here and had helmets and rainsuits on in advance) so no big ordeal, as we were coming into Buffalo, the traffic was horrendous, I know I've probably ridden in worse but i sure don't remember when, as we neared Niagra, traffic began to thin out but we were told to enter via 3rd street to main, Gotta say 3rd street is an adventure all it's own with 3-4" cracks, pot holes and severe disrepair and to top it off, it had started raining again, that said we made it...I told Sharon that I do belive my girl (the bike) deserves a day at the "Spa" upon return for all she's been through getting us here. After checking in we joined a tour (let someone else drive in the weather) and went over into Canada to see the falls.
This being our first time at the falls it was hard to believe from past posts the sheer majasty of the falls, watching horseshoe fall and seeing the sheer velocity of the water cascading down and causing a vapor plume to rise well above the observation tower (572 feet of elevation), the plume rose so high that it actually formed a cloud high enough above the tower to parially obsure the moon.
To not see this for yourself, I'm not sure that words do it justice.
Anyway saw enough yesterday in Canada to make us decide to slow down and take a day to explore and see more of the area on the US side.
Ok, been trying to download photos since I began the post, will figure this out if it doesn't drive me crazy first.
Ok, it's been a while since I've read the rules, I hope I'm not violating any by inviting folks to visit: billandsharonsroadtrip2011.shutterfly.com
All the pix from the road trip are posted here, thus far unedited, some really great shots. I'll try to figure out what I'm doing wrong in trying to upload photos directly here.

Bill and Sharon, when I was a very little girl, my mom and dad took my sister and I to Niagra on one of our summer trips (from Mississippi). I don't remember a lot from that age, but I do remember the falls, and I was so impressed by them, just as you are. Daddy got a photo of me with my ponytail being blown straight up over my head from the power of the falls. What I loved the most was the night version where they had colored lights on the falls making them look like a rainbow. I LOVE colors and I LOVED seeing that......
Glad you are sharing because we sure are loving it. I haven't checked shutterfly yet, but will do so.

Day 7
The smartest thing I've done so far is to elect tours of the falls, Wednesday we did the US side beginning with the Cave of the Winds, this was absolutely amazing, you take an elevater to the bottom of the falls where you walk out on a wooden structure, you're right at the bottom of the falls, you can feel the energy as the water comes rushing down and hitting the boulders at the bottom, as you progress you're taken to a platform so close to the falling water that it actually generates a high wind/water situation and you get soaked.
From there we went on the Maid of the Mist boat which takes you to the bottom of horseshoe falls and into the turbulance created by the falls, again, you get soaked and the wind is unbelievable but the majasty of the falls cannot be denied.
Overall, a fantastic trip and one we'll remember for the rest of our lives, for those who haven't been to the falls it's something you should really consider doing.
I'm guessing that readers here aren't following for a play by play of the falls, but wanted to share the experience, as for Thursday, still undecided what course to take but certain the it will involve the bike once more.

Attachments

• DSCN1322.jpg
    DSCN1322.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1330.jpg
    DSCN1330.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN1338.jpg
    DSCN1338.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN1351.jpg
    DSCN1351.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN1364.jpg
    DSCN1364.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 40
Looks like the wife and you are on your honeymoon, glad that you are having a great time
Ken

You wanna go over THAT? In a barrel? And people say I'm a risk taker just because I ride a motorcycle? Go figure.

Great photos. Looks like you two are having a great time.

Ishmael

did the yellow rain suits help? when i was there it seemed that every one who used them still got wet.

lookes like a wonderful time. stay safe!

I don't know if you got wet from the spray and mist or the rain suits are sweaty and smelly. If I remember right they were pretty rank.
Ken

In response to the rain coat questions, I think they are there more to hold out hope of staying dry, operators have been doing this long enough to know it depends on where you walk or place yourself on the boat as to how wet you'll get....
Anyway, Thursday we had to make the decision to begin the meandering trip back south after getting out of Buffalo went a ways on I90 and decided to take some backroads so we got off on one that said it was headed south, keep in mind that with no exact destination, I wasn't following any map or keeping up with hwy numbers, sorry.
We were considering York to see the birth of Harleys since we skipped that going up so I was just heading south and west in that general direction, as we traveled I noticed that we were getting back into some mountains, weren't even sure which ones, I noted that we were on SR242 then got on 219S. through some absolutely georgeous scenery with long sweeps and good road through what I learned was the Allegany range with ski lodges and nice little resort towns, looking back we probably should have stopped and looked around, but oh well the journey continues.
Eventually we got on I80 and headed south, if you've never been on I80 in this area, it is an experience, it's a concrete interstate full of chunks of concrete missing and pot holes but it had long expansive sweeps through some of the most beautiful mountains we've yet to see so we stuck it out. Sharon said her backside was buzzing, imagine that.
Finally exited in I99 S to 322 and stopped for the night in State College, Pa.
From a weather standpoint it was a beautiful sunny day, that was the highlight, for those in the south who said it wouldn't be any cooler, WRONG, the high finally hit 72-73 by 5pm, and the winds across the mountains sometimes would move me 3-4 feet in the lane, wish I had had some coal, may have had some diamonds by the time we got here (Here I'll be politically correct and allow you to get the gist of that one), Since we had to pack for 2 weeks and expected temps were much higher no leather aboard but Sharon had the bright idea or raingear, trust me it helps in a pinch.
Ok, enough dribble for now, gotta get up and get moving, I can almost see York so think we'll head in that direction to begin and figure it out from there.
While I'm waiting for the pix to download, I'd like to give Sharon credit for the pix, all taken from the back of the bike at 65-70mph, I think she's doing a great job.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Sharon is doing a great job and I really like the pics. That's part of the ride I like the most seeing parts of this great country I've never seen before. Thanks for the write up on your travels Bill, it sort of feels we are right there with you.

Back