free website stats program Bike to bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike to bike

Mako

I'm currently researching bite-to-bike communications devices, but haven't had much success through the search engines, etc.

Is it possible to start a forum where intercom and bike to bike product suggestions and reviews can be collected ?

Thanks,

Re: Forum Suggestion

I use blue tooth bike to bike communication made by Blue Ant and purchased through Amazon. Everything is self contained on the helmet so no wires to hook and unhook when getting on and off. The unit is on all of the time so it is like talking while riding in a car. Sound is excellent, even at 70mph. The only problem I have had is the unit's battery is only good for about four hours. We often ride for many more hours, so I bought two extra units. I also set up an inverter in one of my saddle bags so I can charge one set of transceivers as we ride.

Ok wait..lol Gosh am so freakin stupid when it comes to this tecky stuff...Guess I'm too old. My question is ( I did watch the demo ) using it you actually do it through the phone? and what if your in a area with no signal from a tower..which seems we are a lot ...Will it still work?...Please be gentle coz I don't understand this stuff. It does sound good . we bought a system but its doesn't work very well so it became aggravating. Also does it subtract minute from your cell plan? We have carry over minutes and don't think I would go over the limit, but would my phone battery also run down it it was on all the time? When we go its generally for a least a week...but can be up to a month. Sorry so many questions...it does sound like a good system...ah Thanks in advance

Ok wait..lol Gosh am so freakin stupid when it comes to this tecky stuff...Guess I'm too old. My question is ( I did watch the demo ) using it you actually do it through the phone? and what if your in a area with no signal from a tower..which seems we are a lot ...Will it still work?...Please be gentle coz I don't understand this stuff. It does sound good . we bought a system but its doesn't work very well so it became aggravating. Also does it subtract minute from your cell plan? We have carry over minutes and don't think I would go over the limit, but would my phone battery also run down it it was on all the time? When we go its generally for a least a week...but can be up to a month. Sorry so many questions...it does sound like a good system...ah Thanks in advance

Fourdogs,

Bluetooth capability is nothing more that a way for the unit to receive and send data back and forth between another unit that has Bluetooth. As long as you're in range of the other unit (490 ft in the case of the BlueAnt Interphone) the units (headsets) can communicate with each other (not through the cell phone-in fact you don't need a cell phone to use Bluetooth)

If your cell phone has Bluetooth, then it can communicate with the BlueAnt headset while receiving and making calls. Just like it would with one of the 'ear-mounted' headsets you see everyone walking around with these days. When you're making or receiving a call is where your minutes are used, not when the headsets talk to each other...

Bluesssman,

I looked at the BlueAnt Interphone, but I'm concerned with the limited battery life and somewhat limited range. I have looked at the Chatterbox which has a 5 mile range and Bluetooth, but I've also found conflicting reviews on it concerning the sound quality and durability...

Fourdogs,

Bluetooth capability is nothing more that a way for the unit to receive and send data back and forth between another unit that has Bluetooth. As long as you're in range of the other unit (490 ft in the case of the BlueAnt Interphone) the units (headsets) can communicate with each other (not through the cell phone-in fact you don't need a cell phone to use Bluetooth)

If your cell phone has Bluetooth, then it can communicate with the BlueAnt headset while receiving and making calls. Just like it would with one of the 'ear-mounted' headsets you see everyone walking around with these days. When you're making or receiving a call is where your minutes are used, not when the headsets talk to each other...

Bluesssman,

I looked at the BlueAnt Interphone, but I'm concerned with the limited battery life and somewhat limited range. I have looked at the Chatterbox which has a 5 mile range and Bluetooth, but I've also found conflicting reviews on it concerning the sound quality and durability...

Mako..so the blue ant..is all you need?..Its not transmitting through towers?...Told ya am not the sharpest knife in the drawer!..Its a self contained unit?...Thanks in advance

Mako..so the blue ant..is all you need?..Its not transmitting through towers?...Told ya am not the sharpest knife in the drawer!..Its a self contained unit?...Thanks in advance

It's stand-alone-no use of towers. You'll need one headset for you and another for whomever you'd like to talk to. The side benefit is that you could use it to make or receive calls from your cell.

Here's the website for BlueAnt: http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

Re: Bike Communications and Electronics

Here is some real nice bike to bike communications that use Family radio service (frs) General mobile radio service (gmrs) or Blue Tooth. Part of HJC helmets company. check out : ChatterBox

Here is some real nice bike to bike communications that use Family radio service (frs) General mobile radio service (gmrs) or Blue Tooth. Part of HJC helmets company. check out : ChatterBox

The Chatterbox GMRS X1 is the set that I'm focusing in on now. I'll probably go that direction unless I can find something better. The cost of the Bluetooth capability is a bit steep, but I haven't yet decided that it is a necessity.

I'm just wondering on the quality of sound, battery life, durability etc. The on-line reviews I have read seem to like the set, but it'd be better if I could find a user I can communicate via forums like this to get a warm fuzzy on the purchase...

The Chatterbox GMRS X1 is the set that I'm focusing in on now. I'll probably go that direction unless I can find something better. The cost of the Bluetooth capability is a bit steep, but I haven't yet decided that it is a necessity.

I'm just wondering on the quality of sound, battery life, durability etc. The on-line reviews I have read seem to like the set, but it'd be better if I could find a user I can communicate via forums like this to get a warm fuzzy on the purchase...

I don't have any experience with these but I do know from being an amateur and gmrs radio operator that I talk on handheld low wattage gmrs radios and the clarity is great but I only use these for less than a mile . Also, GMRS radio's require a radio license from the FCC but FRS radio does not. I hope this helps.

I don't have any experience with these but I do know from being an amateur and gmrs radio operator that I talk on handheld low wattage gmrs radios and the clarity is great but I only use these for less than a mile . Also, GMRS radio's require a radio license from the FCC but FRS radio does not. I hope this helps.

You're right. Here's the FCC version of the licensing requirements:
If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas.

The FRS 0.5 watts should be enough to communicate a mile or two in a line-of-sight type environment. But I'm sure the manufacturers market them as "dual-use" which probably shields them from any recourse by claiming the customer is responsible for any licensing requirements if operated in the GMRS range...

Back