free website stats program Bike sway. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike sway.

I think we're talking about two different things here. If it's doing something that makes you feel your safety is at stake and you're an experienced rider then you probably have something wrong.
Rather than try to suit up for what you feel is the inevitable crash, I would have a shop at least ride it and check it out.

The condition that we're all talking about is more annoying than anything. It's not a hazard unless your on the edge anyway and like I've stated, it's not made for that.

As far as a oil slick or grease patch is concerned, If you're in the middle of a turn and hit one the last thing you need to worry about is a little tail wag.
You can't plan for every little thing that could go wrong and if you could it wouldn't be much fun to ride would it?
Might as well ride the bus.

Oh and if you do go down on a big touring bike the chances of it sliding out from underneath ye is not a concern. Most of the time it ends up on top of ye. :D

Geno

No its wag allright, but i think were missing the point here altogether!

Every one that posted a comment on the above are aware of the sway/wag on the pre 2009 bikes, FACT.

Two completely different companies, and fair play to them, have come up with a fix for the problem, FACT.

HARLEY DAVIDSON, have not addressed the problem, by firstly making a press release, or by manufacturing a cure to the problem, to sell on to the pre 2009 owners, (but have a mega catalouge of extras)££££, to assist the owners with their concern, and a an affordable price. FACT

HARLEY DAVIDSON, have admitted to the problem, by fixing this on their 2009 range. FACT..

:bigsmiley6:

I understand your point dave but here's a few more facts.

Harley isn't gonna admit to any problem unless the NHTSA forces them to but neither will any other manufacturer of anything. If they did, everyone that ever got a hangnail would crawl out of the woodworks to sue their butt off.

I can't see where Harley admitted there was a problem on earlier bikes. What they did say is:
" the improved mounts work with the new frame, swingarm, suspension, tires and wheels to make the whole package feel tight and controlled."

I'm sure that every manufacturer of every vehicle made can make the claim that their new model handles better than their older models, if not superior in every other way too.

I can take any vehicle made and make it do something dangerous that it isn't supposed to do. And I can probably find someone that makes a part that cures that unwanted characteristic. That doesn't mean it was defective in the first place.

It may not be fair that we're the ones who do the real R&D but that's how it is.
You make something I can't screw up and I screw it up so you have to make it better.
That's called progress.

I choose to ride a Harley even though I know I'm riding a bike that's still using 1940's technology on 90% of the bike.

If I wanted to ride the latest technology I would probably ride a YZF-R1 but there's one reason I don't. First of all I'll kill myself on it but most of all:
It ain't a Harley!
Been riding em since 1969 and put up with all the quirks AMF and Willie G could throw at em.
If you have to ask why then it can't be explained.

I hope you get your bike fixed man. Their ain't nothing worse than having a motorcycle that scares you. I had one in a 1981 Goldwing and sold it because it felt like I was riding a snake. I told the guy I sold it to that it was a death trap but he rode it for years and said it was the best handling bike he ever owned and I was crazy for selling it so cheap.
Go Figure??

Geno

Last edited:
I choose to ride a Harley even though I know I'm riding a bike that's still using 1940's technology on 90% of the bike.

If I wanted to ride the latest technology I would probably ride a YZF-R1 but there's one reason I don't. First of all I'll kill myself on it but most of all:
It ain't a Harley!

Well said geno,
I must admit, ive just come of the Jap bikes, because i was taking more and more risks everyday! The older i got the faster i wanted! until my mate gave me a lend of his harley, it has changed my life:

But just back from the HD shop here in Dublin, bike tested and passed, new tyre fitted....stage 1 complete.....Im sold... i can deal with wag..:naughty
Talk about the TAIL WAGGING THE DOG!!:newsmile047:

They have a very clever way with words. Usually it's an "enhancement" which lets them off the hook in the liability department.

You are so wrong about this only occuring while driving outside the limits of the bike and law. I have an 08 ultra and before I installed the stabilizer system this bike would sway back and forth like the rear tire was flat at 55-65 MPH which is legal highway speed on PA Turnpike. I was always pulling over to see if rear tire was low. What a scary feeling. The stabilizer didn't make it go away entirely but definately made the bike driveable.

my $.03

ive had same problem with mine dealer says nothing wrong .. finely got fed up and put on a stabilzer and guess what its gone .. i had it checked for tire and rear end to engine alignment all normal blah blah

Can somebody answer why some have this problem and some don't? When I ride solo and I'm in the right mood I push mine to it limits.my footboard mounts will attest to this. I have honestly never had the sway problem that you are all talking about not at any speed.

how much do ya weigh .. i notice most people who talk about it are heavier riders

how much do ya weigh .. i notice most people who talk about it are heavier riders

Pretty good to figure out how much most Ultra riders are way ov...eh...weight via your sharply tuned peepers peering thru your monitor...:D

Last edited:
No thanksgiving bird here,just hard work and lifting steel all my life.

Yeah, but looking at your avatar, you got a nice ride and nice digs...just take it easy and keep warm...you may want to substitute the suds for nice warm coffee and think about coming over to your neighbors in the States for the winter, where it is a little warmer. :44:

Right now it is raining, and my bike got all wet on the ride home...but it supposed to be dry and sunny, off Thanksgiving Thursday and then off to Frenetic Friday shopping...Harley has discount coupons...hoo-boy! :small3d011:

BTW might be a good time to get that "AFT" Stabilizer...yeah you know you want it! :D

Last edited:
Well I weigfh 300 lbs and i'm 4 foot tall. My bike sways when I'm sitting at a red light so I don't notice it much at speed.
i bought one of them there gyroscopes that they sell at walmart in the toy department.
That fixed er for sure. I just gotta remember to pull over when it quits spinnin and whirl er up again.

4.95 and it' solid as a rock.

if you ain't going under 90 you can't hardly feel it.

geno:newsmile048:

Back