free website stats program bike out of storage soon | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bike out of storage soon

thanks for the advise!its been a long cold winter but i think the weather is finaly changing for the better.you guys that get to ride all year are lucky.

I never change the oil without changing the filter:s
X2

I change the filter in anything that has a filter when I do a oil change. I have gotten lazy over the years though, I pretty much let the dealer do all my maintenance on everything. I do have a little beater car I drive back and forth to work, just to keep the miles off the truck and save on fuel. It is a great little car, I got a great deal on it during the gas crisis. I do change the oil on that car, I change it every 5K or 6K and it very easy.

I ride the bike all winter, so the most the bike sits is 2 weeks depending on how the winter goes. I usually call the dealer and have them pick up bike and do the normal service in the spring and maybe add a little chrome :D

oil is cheap and filters are cheap if you think you should change it go for it matters not what rest of us do .. i knwo some one will say well no the oil and filter isnt cheap but compared to engine rebuild .. yep its cheap

oil is cheap and filters are cheap if you think you should change it go for it matters not what rest of us do .. i knwo some one will say well no the oil and filter isnt cheap but compared to engine rebuild .. yep its cheap

I agree. Is it then overkill and a waste of money to change the primary and trans each time you change the oil? This is my first Harley. I want to do all maintance work myself. I a firm believer in, "If it's not broke, don't fix it", way of thinking. But my Harley different. I bought it stock and the first thing I do is change things that aren't broke. New pipes, a/c, Stage 1. I figured if I'm going to change the oil, why not change all three. But, is it really necessary and a waste of money.

I agree. Is it then overkill and a waste of money to change the primary and trans each time you change the oil? This is my first Harley. I want to do all maintance work myself. I a firm believer in, "If it's not broke, don't fix it", way of thinking. But my Harley different. I bought it stock and the first thing I do is change things that aren't broke. New pipes, a/c, Stage 1. I figured if I'm going to change the oil, why not change all three. But, is it really necessary and a waste of money.

Actually servicing anything or overservicing in this case insures that there will be minimal wear to parts that rely on oil lubrication for their life expectancy. I do the oil/filter and also the primary and trans at the same time and it's far fefore the recommended intervals. When you think of it, the primary and trans take roughly a quart each (more on the newer 96 engines in the primary) also it's real cheap insurance that they will have clean oil circulating through them for just the price of two additional quarts of oil.
I change all three because I have seen what neglecting oil in any compartment can do and after spending the money to buy one of these overpriced bikes, I just want to keep it as good as it could be. JMHO

Like my dad told me long ago, "son, changing the oil is the best way to keep 'em in good shape". IMO lubricants and filters are probably the best bang for the buck you get in caring for your bikes, cars, etc.

Yes I change my fluids on a strict schedule, BUT I do change my oil, 3000 miles and filter, clutch & primary at 5000 miles because oil is the life blood of your bike and my type of riding is hard on it (commute is only 5 miles). But at the same time, I do not want to waste oil or add to the degradation of the environment (for my grand kids' sake) JMO.

Last edited:
im planing on chagine the primary and trans every 5k which is will be every other oil change for em im for changing the oil every 2500 maybe its overkill but piece of mind

Leave the oil in and run the bike for 5,000 miles (or whatever your normal synthetic change interval is) There's no reason and it'd be a total waste, to pour out new, perfectly good Mobil 1 oil and put more back in. That oil hasn't been contaminated from combustion by many cold start-ups and short trips has it?

I've been lucky enough to have good weather the last three weekends. My wife and I have been out for a couple hrs each time. It's still a bit chilly but well worth it!

No storage for me, wheel her out and go whenever possible. Dec '08 and Jan '09 were the only months I didn't ride. I just filled the tank, covered her and kept the tender on her.

Back