free website stats program Bike Medical Insurance? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Medical Insurance?

I think its all part of the insurance companies driving profits and we should not be penalized because we choose to ride motorcycles. If u have good coverage fight to keep it support abate . Here in Florida no insurance is required on a motorcycle. I dont understand this one I thought all motorized vehicles were required to carry at least liability coverage I choose to carry full coverage and high medical you never know especially with no fault another great mis nomer probably spelled that wrong.

Jack,

Most of us have medical insurance through an employer. If the employer changes providers to a lower cost company that does NOT cover motorcycle riders, often we do not have much say in the manner. We would have to know the coverage was dropped and then buy additional insurance.

Good point do they have to notify us in writting and with in a certain time frame. Most of what I am posting is about the actual policies we have on our bikes. I know our medical coverage from our jobs are seperate. I have medical at the Mayo Clinic thanks to my wife working there, have recently seen changes in co pays going up, still cant complain its very good insurance and is affordable.

Good point do they have to notify us in writting and with in a certain time frame. Most of what I am posting is about the actual policies we have on our bikes. I know our medical coverage from our jobs are seperate. I have medical at the Mayo Clinic thanks to my wife working there, have recently seen changes in co pays going up, still cant complain its very good insurance and is affordable.

Glad we are clear that I am not asking about "bike insurance", but rather health insurance. The policy details, in my experience, are given to employees sometimes months after a change is made. If your company changes insurance, say on Jan 1, and some coverage is no longer provided, say for motorcycle medical, you could have an accident on Jan 2, and not know you are without coverage.

Granted, this may NOT be a problem, if health insurance companies cannot drop us (riders). I am just not certain what the law is and hope someone else does know.

Glad we got this one figured out thats whats so great about this forum alot of good ideas from many it pays to stay informed

Actually employers have "Open Enrollement" which occurs annually and at that time the coverages and changes are supposed to be spelled out. As for the extra-vehicular activities...like the space program, it is all up in the air and descretion of the policy carrier...!

Remember what I said, about a good thing going bad? 1) "We should help people if they are injured and out of work to get back on their feet" 2) "Great, now that it is law to have coverage, how do we make a profit and pay salaries", 3) "Hey, where did our profit go this year...do we REALLY have to help THOSE people (depersonalize client)?...4) What can we do to keep our salaries up, satisfy shareholders and not make a risky decision...5) Lets drop the non profitable policies and scrutinize new ones...what a pre-existing condition?...huh, rides a MOTORCYCLE?...uh oh

Bottom line, no controversy...just be careful what you wish for and what you buy into...

Last edited:
Actually employers have "Open Enrollement" which occurs annually and at that time the coverages and changes are supposed to be spelled out. As for the extra-vehicular activities...like the space program, it is all up in the air and descretion of the policy carrier...!
(snip)

You are correct about coverages being spelled out. But, often on Day 1 of new coverage only generalities are known. Exact details and fine print come later.

As someone who rides, I like having my health insurance cover me in case of an accident.

But, to be honest, if I did not ride, I would probably think "those people" should pay extra for the extra risk they take, even if the activity is legal. After all, it would keep my premiums lower.

Where does the estimate of being charged triple comes from? An insurance company, or a right or left wing politician? Is that estimate meant to scare us, or is it an honest estimate?

I would like to stay away from that speculation, since all kinds of numbers get floated around and no one knows what a new law might contain at this point.

Can we try to stay with getting an answer to existing law? Thanks.

Back