free website stats program Bike is very hard to start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike is very hard to start

Well I will do more checking on the cables. I don't know what the compression is, but I'll get it checked also, I use to have a tester but when I moved I haven't found lots of my tools that are still in a box in the garage some where. Thanks

My Bike is all stock and that happens to me too.
I really think its the compression not releasing pressure on the piston at any given point when shutting down.
Usually happens when refueling, but when I try a few times after its seems OK.
So what the solution? Right now until I find a more serious problem I'm gonna just deal with it.

I work at a hospital and we have Keystone Battery supply all our batteries for
UPS. When I mention the problem to them, the first thing he mentioned was compression. And he doesn't ride!

And as far as the battery, mine went after four years and about 40k miles.
One day fine the next day nothing. couldn't even jump it.

I have also heard there is a fusible link in the battery that goes when the battery dies.

Any thoughts Gentlemen?

I really think its the compression not releasing pressure on the piston at any given point when shutting down.

I have also heard there is a fusible link in the battery that goes when the battery dies.

Any thoughts Gentlemen?

The compression will always bleed down after shutting off an engine because of ring gaps. It may take 10 seconds but it's going to happen.

Never heard of a fusible link in any battery used for starting. But there are jumper bars between the six cells and it is not uncommon that one bar will just open up. It has happen to me also. One minute the battery is perfect, next minute it is totally dead.

Re: Bike is very hard to start (UP DATE)

Left battery off charger for two days, started the bike voltage dropped to about 9.5. Bought a new battery today started the bike and it really fired up.
Originay battery dated 7/09, guess it was time for a new one. Being kept on the battery tender voltage always was good.

Sounds like you have found the problem. Let me just add what I found out lately. Make sure that the BIG cable is next to the battery terminal and that the bolts are tight. Also, check the connections at the starter for tightness. Mine were loose and the bike started hard. 4 years on a battery in one of these is about all you get. Heat and vibration really take their toll. Ride safe and enjoy.

Back