free website stats program Bike for my Wife | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike for my Wife

I am no bike broker but that sounds high, but then maybe lowering packages cost more than I thought. No offense meant just typing out loud

Im looking for feed back and input. I found a 2003 Heritage Classic with 2100 miles. at a dealer for $13900. it is a 100 year Aniversary edition and it also has alot of addons. Black in color and alot of chrome.. It was driven by a woman and has been lowered by the same dealer.

Thanks for your input

$11,565 is the fair market value for that bike. The extras don't really figure into the price on resale very much unless you like the additions.

Print out the KBB page for that bike and take it to the dealer with you.

2003 Harley-Davidson - Kelley Blue Book

The 100 year anniversary bikes bring little more in dollar value other than to someone who thinks they are worth more. Been there and done that with an 03 anniversary bike that brought little if any more on resale compared to other years and their worth. The dealers are the only ones that make out on the resale and only if you let them.

Look up the selling prices of the 02 and the 04 bikes and see for yourself if they are worth more before giving more than it is worth to the dealer.

Also ride the bike first if you just have to have it. A softail rides hard and a lowered softail rides even harder.

My 2000 Road King Classic was $9600 with 3800 miles. I felt like that was a bit high, but felt like the bike was to be mine. I know here in the Springs the dealer wants $500 to push paper around, so I saved that money by buying off Craig's list.

I tend to agree with you Webbtron, the dealer is going to do anything and everything he can to make a profit. Lets face it, it is what they do to make a living. My theory has always and will be "I don't mind them getting rich, I just don't want them getting rich off of me."
When you go into the dealership you need to go in loaded for bear. Get the Kelly Blue Book Value, The NADA book and what the average price the bike is selling for on craigslist. I myself use the in-between price system. That means What is "trade in value" (what the dealer should give you) and what is average retail value. Go in-between and no more than 20%
For instance; 2003 Heritage softail classic
Trade in $8,490.
Retail $11,565
I would pay between $10,027.50 - 11030.25
The higher end only if the bike is in great shape and I am not paying any paper work fees.
The biggest fear any salesman has is that you will walk away. I once walked away from a deal on a truck for 50 bucks. The salesman said to me and I quote "you gonna walk away from this deal over 50 bucks?" My reply was "Are gonna lose this deal over 50 bucks?" I got the truck he lost the fifty. Right now it is trying times and the consumer holds all the cards. Do your homework and don't be afraid to voice what you are thinking. Most of all you can walk away there is always a better deal around the corner. One last thing the pays no extra for chrome nor should you.

If this deal falls through, you may think about a Softail Deluxe....it has a shorter sitting height! Just my $0.02.

Back