free website stats program Bike Down? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Down?

Stormrider51

I was reading come comments in another thread about having to get help to right a bike that has managed to get on its side. I thought I'd share a technique that works and can let you get back up and riding all by yourself.

First off, let me say that this only works with bikes that have crash guards or what they call "engine guards" nowadays front and rear. The important thing is that the bike will only go over so far and this works in your favor. That rear guard also gives you a lifting point to grab on to.

I might even suggest that you get some foam pipe insulation, wrap your guards with it and duct tape it into place. Then ease your bike over onto her side. Okay, your baby is down. It's up to you to pick her back up. That 800+ pounds of bike is pretty intimidating, isn't it? Getting her off the ground is really pretty easy once you know how.

I'm going to assume for the moment that the bike is on its left side. We will get to righting it from the right side in a moment. Turn the handle bars to the left (like you were making a sharp left turn). Face away from the bike, grab the left handgrip with your right hand, grab the rear guard with your left and put your backside on the saddle. Now straighten your legs and walk backward until the bike is up onto its wheels. It's not that hard. The only trick is to stop pushing before you go past upright and the bike falls on its other side. When you feel her reaching the balance point keep your butt in the saddle, move your right hand to the right grip, and take the left one in your left hand. Stand up, swing your leg over and straddle.

Okay, so what's different about raising her from the right side? Nothing much except that it's easier. Before you even start to lift, lower the kickstand to the "down" position. Now when you approach that upright balance point just let her keep going onto the kickstand. She can't fall over the other way. Other than that the technique is the same but reversed. You turn the handlebars to the right, grab the right grip with your left hand, etc. Be sure to use your legs.

I'm sure some of you are wondering how I know all this works. Well, I learned the technique in a motorcycle police officer course many years ago. Then I was riding in the parking lot of the local grocery a couple of days ago and a....nice lady...who was talking on a cell phone and not watching where she was driving whipped in front of me. I was almost stopped preparing to turn left and already had the front wheel cut to the left. I instinctively hit the front brake. You can guess the rest. The EG got over far enough that I couldn't stop her. We sort of stopped and laid down. The other driver never even slowed down. By the time I had the bike back up she was long gone. I also learned that my Harley will read "TILT" on the odometer and refuse to start again until you perform the correct rituals and incantations to resurrect it. Some of the incantations may not have been necessary. In my defense I will say that I have NOW read the appropriate part of the owners manual.

Storm

Hello Storm:D

Thanks for the info, I never thought of on how to get the bike upright if it ever happened,:bigsmiley21:

Now I know! :sd I hope I never have to use it! :51:

If you go to Glider's Quick Link Tech Tips, and check the general area, there's a great vid link to this exact problem.

A huge help!

Thanks DK, Man I thought already been to all the nooks and cranny in this forum:8:

I learn something new every day.:30:

There's a DVD available produced by a retired Florida motor Patrol officer called "Ride Like A Pro". There is video there of a 100 or so pownd girl re-setting a max weight dresser which demonstrates the technique.

Also, there are a lot of other very good tips about "head and eye" control and precision riding.

I've watched the DVD several times, and learned something every time.

In another thread here, we have discussed "how long" we've been riding individually. The officer made a statment in the DVD, that some folks, having been riding for 40 yesrs, do not actually have 40 years of experience, they simply have 1 year, 40 times. The DVD attempts to correct that.

I must say that I fell into that category. Also, the DVD demonstrates exercises that you can practice to prepare for the various states motor cycle license, road / course tests for the endorsement.

Back