free website stats program Bike died while running | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike died while running

clayton5cash

I have a 2000 sportster. I was out for a little ride, but when I came to a stop the bike stopped as well. It was having trouble starting back up and black smoke came from the intake and the exhaust and will only run when I am giving it gas. Any ideas on what caused this?

Float sticking? Has the carb ever been rebuilt? Try adding some Sea foam in the tank and see if it clears up.

The rubber tip on the float needle can harden and get deformed after a period of use with modern fuels and can fail to close off the flow of fuel into the float bowl which should empty through a drain pipe but if it has also deteriorated then the fuel will be forced through the jets into the main body of the carb
a carb rebuild kit is a good starting point

Brian

The rubber tip on the float needle can harden and get deformed after a period of use with modern fuels and can fail to close off the flow of fuel into the float bowl which should empty through a drain pipe but if it has also deteriorated then the fuel will be forced through the jets into the main body of the carb
a carb rebuild kit is a good starting point

Brian
I am confused I have never had this problem before on this bike, as well as when I give it throttle then I can get it to run. Why would it be dying because of more fuel, but if I give it even more fuel then it will run?

I am confused I have never had this problem before on this bike, as well as when I give it throttle then I can get it to run. Why would it be dying because of more fuel, but if I give it even more fuel then it will run?

Most likely because it's flooding out at idle, good indicator is the black smoke you are experiencing. I see a carb rebuild in your future. Try running some Sea foam in the tank and see if it clears up, if not i'd look into a rebuild. JMHO.

Does the bike have a fuel shut off valve? If it does , start the bike , get it to act up, black smoke poor idle.
Close the valve , after a few moments it should start to clear up if it is caused by the needle not seating or a sunk float.
If it blubber's and puts out black smoke until it runs out of gas you need to rebuild the carb .

At idle the slide in the carb is fully down restricting the flow of air through the carb if there is a lot of fuel and not enough air then black smoke is produced
when you turn the throttle the butterfly opens causing a depression between the butterfly and the slide this causes the slide to rise allowing more air through the carb this extra air will reduce the richness of the fuel/air mix going into the engine and the amount black smoke will be reduced

Brian

Back