free website stats program Bike died suddenly -and stayed dead! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike died suddenly -and stayed dead!

FOURDOGS is right. Charge that battery now and then have it load tested. That way you can eliminate that or find it is a cause. Fossil

Well just to keep you guys posted, still no sign of volt meter so decided to jump the breaker to see if there was power like glider suggested and lo and behold battery is completely dead. Got it on a charger now but buying a new one tomorrow anyways as its got a few years on it. Didnt know battery could die that quick though as it was fine in the morning. Hoping its just that and not that its not recharging properly -had that on the night train once and was a pain to find out why. Anyways thanks for all the advice guys and will let you know tomorrow what happens!

Na the crossbones is an 08 model but i out it as my primary cos thats really the bike i use the most now -will change that now to avoid confusion. The fat boy is 6 yrs old, the battery is actually 4. In fact i have to take the crossbones back because all the paint is peeling off on the back fender but that the dealer is taking care off.

OK, If you day so, I read your post 4 times and don't know what you were saying:D

An 08 bike has a 2 year warranty.

Sorry glider, that was me rambling. Anyways changed the battery on the bike this morning and had electrics but still no joy on the starter. nevertheless charged battery up for a few hours ( suposed to come charged ) and thankfully kicked into life first go! Apparently the mechanic said the initial charge on battery isn't enough for the big engine -in case anyone has a similar problem.thanks again guys for all the help and advice!

No problem, you had me scratching my head there :D

Any battery should be fully charged with a charger before putting it into service or it effects the longevity of the battery in the end and overworks the charging system to bring it up to par. Charging systems are to maintain batteries and not charge them from a low charge state like when you buy them even a lot of people just install them and drive.

The harley charging system has been improved over the years but a half charged battery will put it to the test for sure.

Back