free website stats program Bike backfiring & dying? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike backfiring & dying?

Try some sea foam change the plugs maybe the wires and clean the IAC:p

A 2008 having problems with fueling sounds pretty suspicious to me...might have picked up some bad gas, fouled plug or clogged fuel sock/filter, may be having low fuel pressure (55-60 PSI)...check out the fuel relay (sometime easier/cheaper just to replace), fuses, connectors and mates for corrosion (clean w/electronic control cleaner and coat w/ dielectric grease) and loose wiring or cut insulation and such. Just work methodically, one thing at a time, retest and on to the next.

My 2000 FXDL had a similar problem and it was the MAP sensor, I'm not familiar with the newer models, but if you have a sevice manual, check to see if the bike is throwing a code (engine light blink method); cross the code to the number of blinks & if it comes up the MAP sensor or the ignition module, try the MAP sensor first, it's right around $40.00 & pretty easy to change.

Bike is running great right now. Took it to an indy but he couldn't find anything wrong. It ran good when I took it to him. There were no codes and his scanner was broken. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything. Like I said, it's running great now, just hope it continues to. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Bike is running great right now. Took it to an indy but he couldn't find anything wrong. It ran good when I took it to him. There were no codes and his scanner was broken. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything. Like I said, it's running great now, just hope it continues to. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

So what did you do to get it smoothed out & running right?

Just got home (luckily) from a 150 mile ride. As I was approaching a stop sign, my bike back fired when I down shifted. It did this a couple of times then died while running about 30mp. Every time I came to a stop, it would do the same thing. I would have to keep rolling the throttle to keep it running. It ran fine on the highway at 55 to 60. When I pulled in the drive at home, it died again.

Any suggestions or ideas? I would appreciate any and all. Thanks!
I have an 04 gave me the same trouble when used hard, the cause was a magnet on the oil filter I had put there, to close to the crank pickup sender. Once removed all was happy again.

I didn't do anything. When I was getting ready to take it to the indy I only had 1/2 tank of gas in, so I filled it and it has ran fine ever since.

I only had 1/2 tank of gas in, so I filled it and it has ran fine ever since.

Bad load of gas. It does happen. Just remember that the 1/2 tank of bad gas and 1/2 tank of fresh gas may not mix completely. They may still remain separate to some degree. That means the problem may come back after you use up the good gas in the tank.

The time it happened to me, until I actually drained the tank using an external fuel pump, the engine ran poor in cycles. The bad fuel I did pull from the tank was pumped into a clear glass container. That was the time you really could see why/how it really was. It also smelled bad. It did not smell bad when it was in the steel tank. But once it was moved to a glass container, you could smell that it was bad.

Just got home (luckily) from a 150 mile ride. As I was approaching a stop sign, my bike back fired when I down shifted. It did this a couple of times then died while running about 30mp. Every time I came to a stop, it would do the same thing. I would have to keep rolling the throttle to keep it running. It ran fine on the highway at 55 to 60. When I pulled in the drive at home, it died again.

Any suggestions or ideas? I would appreciate any and all. Thanks!

I just had a similar problem with my Street Bob, the dealership ended up having to change the voltage regulator.

Back