free website stats program Big city thunder baffles?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Big city thunder baffles??

i got my v&h baffles out today, cranked bike and wow, really loud with lots of popping on decel, how much difference should i experience after installing the big city baffles?

You will not notice much of difference in sound. I put BCT baffles in my head pipes (which are basically a washer inside a tube) and emptied my Rinehart slip ons. Pretty much just as loud, but the torque I have now. WOW!!! You will notice a huge difference!!!

A friendly word of caution here. I've used this product in the past and have ridden 4 different configurations of mufflers with them (Rinehart, WildPigs, Samson). These baffles are made to improve on the inadequacies of certain types of mufflers (i.e. drag pipes). They work very well for their intended purpose. I wouldn't recommend their use on a nice set of performance pipes. There's a good reason quality baffles are put at the far end of a performance muffler (not in the headers). If you're looking for noise volume that's a little easier to tune than running staight drag pipes then you'll be happy with Big City Thunder Baffles. After 35 years of riding, I now prefer a high performance muffler that's easier to tune and provides broad torque with high horsepower (especially on a dresser). There's alot to this topic, hope this helps a little.

I have not personnaly used them, i just dont understand how if you remove the baffle, and install a pipe with a washer inside, that it increases torque? wouldnt this decrease back pressure?

These baffles only increase torque in a muffler that doesn't have baffles in them like a drag pipe or a gutted muffler. If you have mufflers with baffles in them that perform well and replace those baffles with Big City Thunder baffles then you are correct in your questioning. It's not an upgrade in back pressure over the original baffles. It'll also require a higher RPM before torque kicks in which is not really favorable on a heavy bike. Big City Thunder baffles are on the loud side which is deceiving to some people. They think they're getting more torque when they're really just making more noise. A high quality performance muffler will out perform Big City Thunder baffles all day long. These baffles are a fancy upgrade to the old trick of screwing an "I" bolt into your drag pipes on the Shovels and Evos.

Here's an example:
Climbing the same long mountain grade in top gear with the same bike using the following muffler combinations.
Samson drag pipes with Big City Thunder baffles - you'll have to maintain 75mph to keep your motor on the pipe.
WildPig muffles with stock baffles and Big City Thunder baffles together - you'll have to maintain about 68mph to keep your motor on the pipe.
Kerker mufflers with Mukuni performance baffles - you can maintain 55 to 60mph and your motor will be on the pipe with plenty of torque to twist the wick and punch it out to 100+mph with ease.
Huge difference in usable power. Didn't mean to get so long winded on you.

Back