free website stats program Best way to chop an 04 Road King Police | Harley Davidson Forums

Best way to chop an 04 Road King Police

Walter Posner

I have an '04 Road King Police with air sprung saddle. The girl has 50000 miles now and I would like to chop her, old school like. Any ideas or experiences. Photos would be nice.

Not sure how you'd get an "old school" chopper look out of an RK, as I think Sporties and Dynas and even more, FXR bikes are better designed for that, but if you want a "chopped custom" look you can certainly achieve that.

Take a look at this link, and if you goggle around a little, of course you'll see more.

Chopper City USA Customized Road King by Dave Welch

Actually, old school choppers were built from big twins like the Duo Glide and Electra Glide way before there even was a Dyna.

If youre going to chop the frame my recomedation would be to sleeve it.Determine the inner diamiter of the frame.Then go to a metal fab shop and get some smaller tubing that will fit inside the existing frame.Drill a couple of 1/4" holes on both sides of the cut so you can plug weld for stiffness and stregnth.It will also give you a lap weld vs. a butt weld.Lap weld is wuch stronger.

Simply cutting and welding will create a serious week point.Measure twice, cut once.

Back