free website stats program Best Time To Sell | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Time To Sell

Steve Di.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have had luck selling a bike.

*Which is the best medium for advertising the bike? Craigslist? Ebay?

*Mine has a stage one mod. which include a Power Commander and Screamin' Eagle slip-ons. Is it better to sell those items seperately?

*What about the chrome add-on?

*To capture the Spring selling season, is it best to wait for the weather to warm up? Or advertise it now, although the bike is winterized.

*Did you allow each shopper to ride the bike? Or did you require a deposit first before riding?

In case you were wondering, it is a 2005 Heritage that I am thinking of selling.

Steve your best bet is probably Craig’s list or cycle trader.

Be sure you add good pictures a detailed description and a number people can get a hold of you since some people are not computer literate as far as email goes.

As far as add ons goes I would leave them all on and advertise it as so, if you do get a serious buyer you can negotiate that later.

Finally do not let anyone take a test ride with out your asking price cash in hand, this will weed out the looky loo's and will give you security if anything happens.

Good luck

Right now is a great time with folks thinking about Bike Week. Spring coming and all. Economy being the way it is, it may be tough. If its priced right it will go.

Bodeen

Steve; Good questions. Craigslist is free, try it first. Buyers want a deal, leave on and specifically list each item. That doesn't mean you will recoup the cost of accessories, but will make the bike stand above others. You are coming on riding season, so list soon. I'm totally with Bikerfishman about test rides. Also check for mc endorsement on license, there may be liability if you let an unlicensed person ride your bike and something happens. There's a lot of competition selling, take GOOD pictures, post as many as you can with the ad, and offer to email more to interested buyers. GOOD LUCK.

I agree with everyone. Leave everything on and give details with good pictures. Before you let them ride have cash in hand. They scratch it they buy it. No questions asked!

On the odd occasion that i sell a bike i prefer to do it in the spring and i advertise in the local region paper scotads free to advertise you have to buy the paper
not many harleys for sale in this part of the country and only need one week of good weather for the phone to be busy

Brian

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have had luck selling a bike.

*Which is the best medium for advertising the bike? Craigslist? Ebay?

ICEMAN24: CraigsList works well if you keep re-posting your for sale listing each week - otherwise it gets pushed down too far & most people keep looking for fresh posts. This is how we sold my son's dirtbike & it sold within 1 month.

*Mine has a stage one mod. which include a Power Commander and Screamin' Eagle slip-ons. Is it better to sell those items seperately?

ICEMAN24: IMO, you take a loss on any add-ons so best to sell separately on either site (CraigsList & eBay). More bang-for-the-buck!

*What about the chrome add-on?

ICEMAN24: Same as your Stage1 & pipes - you'll take a hit w/the sale so sell separately (if possible).

*To capture the Spring selling season, is it best to wait for the weather to warm up? Or advertise it now, although the bike is winterized.

ICEMAN24: I'd list now b/c CraigsList is free so no lo$$ if it takes a little time to $ell.

*Did you allow each shopper to ride the bike? Or did you require a deposit first before riding?

ICEMAN24: If it were me - I'd ask for a deposit (money, ID & vehicle keys) & definitely question their riding skills before OK'ing any test rider. This should weed-out your joy-rides & free-loaders.

In case you were wondering, it is a 2005 Heritage that I am thinking of selling.

Thought I'd reply within your questions (see above) - hope this helps! Cheers & good luck w/the sale.:newsmile093:

Craigslist is free so definatly post there and ebay or cycle trader is good too. Definatly wait until weather warms up.

When ever I have sold a bike I have insisted on their license and full amount before a test ride then and only then have they been given the keys
WAP.gif

Fully agree with Hobbit here.Do they let you test drive your new bike after a deposit?No!Too many things can go very wrong.Now is a great time to advertize for sure.

I used Craig's list one time trying to selll a Vette and all I got were goofy Clowns calling me wanting to sell the car on my behalf. :newsmile055: I told them I didn't need them because I could sell a snow-ball to an Eskimo. Without a doubt I knew I could convince someone that their life would not be happy with the shiny red plastic pig.

Eventually I put the car out in my front yard and sold it to the first guy that looked at it for the price I wanted. :newsmile093: His lovely wife look real happy as she drove away (top down) wind was blowing her hair about.

A couple hours later I was rolling a new Deluxe off the showroom floor of my favorite H-D Dealer.:D

My experience with Craig's list was not good.

Back