free website stats program Best sounding exhaust setup for XL883? | Harley Davidson Forums

Best sounding exhaust setup for XL883?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
Hey guys,

I have a 2008 XL883. What would you guys recommend for a new exhaust system for the best sound as well as some performance increase? I guess I'm looking at pipes, mufflers, and an air cleaner.

Fire away your choices! Links would be great too :)

well....I would say the RUSH slip on's have a nice sound and give some performance increase. I put them on my XL883 and now it sounds like a harley instead of a moped. They have a nice deep sound to them and have a good bark to them when you get on it, but at cruise tame down to a nice rumble. You can put on the rush slip on's up to a 2" baffle with out needing to remap, now when you change your air cleaner too, a remap would be in order.

Oh and my bike has mid mount controls so most of the Vance & Hines stuff is out of the question. :(

Another question. If I install a new air cleaner and exhaust, is it safe to ride the bike the 20 miles to my dealer to have the EFI remapped?

any V&H will fit as the 1200n has mid mounts so you could go for short shots with quiet baffles

Oh ok great, I always saw the pictures of their pipes on bikes with forward controls, and I thought maybe the pipes were in the way of the mid controls.

I like the look of the short shots, so that is probably what I will go wtih. Now, why would I want quiet baffles? A good sound is what this is about, I don't want to quiet it down!

As far as an air cleaner, I really like the look of the Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather. Would that be a good pair with the V&H shortshots?

the quiet baffles remove the rasp off the pipe and add abit of back pressure to the system - trust me when i say these things are LOUD, even with the quiet baffles
the heavy breather would be an awesome choice just get a good fueler to go with it and not the ECM reflash as you will still be lean

ECM reflash? Is that what the dealer does? What should I get? The V&H fuelpak or something else?

Ok great. I think I'll do the short shots, the heavy breather air cleaner, and the TFI. Now, how difficult is the work? I'm talking the pipes, the cleaner, the mapping, all that stuff. I have pretty limited mechanical abilities. Should I have a mechanic do it? Will I need a service manual to do the work?

Here's the thing. Why wouldn't I just install the pipes and air cleaner myself and then have a mechanic remap the EFI? I can't see spending $200-$300 on a remapping device that I'm only going to use once. Any thoughts?

Back