free website stats program Best Earphones | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Earphones

paulb5

I'm looking for a comfortable set of earphones to use when touring later this summer. I am thinking the "Ear Bud" type would work the best. I do not wear a helmet and would like something to give me a break from the wind noise. Is it even possible to hear the radio with earphones at highway speed?

I have a pair of ER-6I by Etymotic. They are ear buds. They come with two kinds of tips. The foam tips work best for me. I wear a half helmet and I can have the volume at half on my I pod. Outside side is blocked and you can pick up real good base. Makes for a lot better ride, long or short.

I've been using some Sennheiser CX300 in-ear buds and really like them. Good sound, and not as expensive as Shure or Bose. I'm not sure how they would be without a helmet, but they seem to stay in pretty good when I work out. Here's a link where I found them. Sennheiser CX300 In-Ear Isolation Earphones - Motorcycle Ear Plugs When inserted, these cut down wind noise considerably. I've tried the Bose in-ear plugs; they sound really good but do not stay in the ear nearly as well.

Blockade High-Fidelity Industrial Quality Isolation Earbud-Style Earphones (NRR 24) - NASCAR Plugs & Muffs
I wear these Blockade earplug earphones every day at work. I do mill work and the moulders and saw are very loud, until I found these I just wore earplugs. I bought mine at Lowes, I've seen 'em at sears and on eBay and other internet sites. I let a buddy who has been looking for a set of earphones for the bike and he said they were the best sounding earphones he's ever found. He also said they would work good for an in ear monitor when he's singing in his band. I like that they have an inline volume control.

Don't know what I have, Sony or something.

Paid 19.99 for them at Target. Earbuds with 3 sizing buds. They work great.

Thanks Everybody for the great info. I thought the key might be to get something that fits tight in the ear (similar to a ear plug). I might look into custom earphone plugs but that may be down the road. I have some custom ear plugs that work about the same as the foam inserts.

If you're looking for something that is earplug like you can try "Comply" (google "comply foam" and check out their NR-1,) they are noise reduction ear buds that use replaceable foam plugs that are hollow through the middle for the sound to travel. They are a smaller profile than the NR-10 and fit better inside a helmet if you wear one.

If you want to go wireless (bluetooth) try the motorola S9 HD - they even come with a ipod bluetooth adapter and 3 sets of ear plugs to fit snug in all ear canals.

I just wanted to say that I have been looking/researching for headphones to wear when riding my Fatboy long distances for several months now and based upon the recommedations in this forum, I purchased the Blockade earphones that WildSpirit had recommended.

Blockade High-Fidelity Industrial Quality Isolation Earbud-Style Earphones (NRR 24) - Mack's EarSaver Automatic Volume Limiter (12 EarSavers)[/url]

I could not be happier with my purchase! They were only like $38 (including shipping) and sound excellent. I used them this past weekend on a 270 mile trip across Florida and I told my buddies that I felt like I could ride for 1,000miles with the music playing. There was no wind noise whatsoever, but I could still hear my buddies pipes (although faintly) and I am sure any emergency sirens if necessary. I would not suggest them around town, but out on the highway they serve better than regular earplugs (based upon the NRR rating) and you get the benefit of rockin' down the highway.

Back